Whether for a picnic, buffet, party, lunch box or simply a snack, nothing quite beats meaty sausages wrapped in pastry known of course, as sausage rolls.
There are as many sausage roll recipes as there are types of sausages, but this cheeky little spicy sausage roll recipe is my favourite. This recipe takes the simple sausage roll and turns it into something a bit more exotic with the spicy flavours of lemon, garlic, and chilli.
How hot you make the sausage rolls are up to you but as a word of warning, when serving children, you may want to pull back on the heat a little.
- 1 large yellow onion (finely chopped)
- 1 tbsp. vegetable oil (or cold-pressed rapeseed)
- 1 tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 splash of lemon juice (1 gentle squeeze)
- 2 cloves garlic (crushed)
- 2 tsp. hot chili sauce
- 24 oz/750 g sausage meat (plain butchers)
- 3 medium eggs
- 24 oz/750 g ready-made puff pastr
- Preheat the oven to 400°F/200°C/Gas 6
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan, gently cook the chopped onion in the oil for 5 minutes, or until the onions are soft and translucent but not browned. Add the soy sauce, the lemon juice, garlic and chilli and cook for a further 2 minutes, again taking care not to burn.
- Remove the pan from the heat, place the onion mixture on a plate and leave to cool, the mixture does not need to be cold.
- Place the sausage meat in a large mixing bowl, add the cooled onion mixture and two of the eggs. Mix well until all the ingredients are thoroughly and evenly mixed.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out half the pastry to a 20cm x 25cm (8" x 10") rectangle. Cut lengthwise into 2 strips. Repeat with the remaining pastry. Rest the pastry for at least 10 mins in the refrigerator.
- Form the sausage meat mixture into 4 long sausages the length of the pastry strips. Place each sausage into the centre of each pastry strip. Beat the 3rd egg in a basin and lightly brush the edges of the pastry with the beaten egg.
- Fold the pastry over the meat filling to form two long rolls. Brush the top surface with beaten egg.
- Cut the rolls into 4cm/1/1/2" lengths. Place on a lightly greased baking sheet and cook in the preheated oven for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool, the sausage rolls on a cooling rack, they are delicious eaten hot or cold. If popping into a lunch box or a picnic basket, let the rolls cool completely.