When you're looking to change your eating habits and remove processed foods and take out, making ahead lunch for your work week is essential. It needs to be satisfying and it needs to be easy or the take out menu will be calling your name. Just a few simple ingredients and a few minutes of your time and you can prepare two days worth of lunch for a one time effort in the kitchen!
Zucchini has been the number one way many who are sugar free and watching their carb intake, have adjusted to a lower carb diet. Spiralizing veggies like zucchini make all the difference for a boring meal to turn interesting and inviting to eat.If you don't have a spiralizer machine you can also use a serrated peeler which will give you the same effect of noodles with your zucchini. Wash the zucchini and keep the peel on for more vitamins and minerals! You can really add whatever veggies you prefer. I kept it simple here but you can add any of the following toppings with your spiralized zucchini noodle; chopped raw sweet yellow and red peppers, raw sliced mushrooms, chopped ripe avocado, olives, even fresh berries to add some sweetness to this salad. If you're not a fan of Asiago cheese try cheddar or feta! If you want protein add some cooked chopped chicken breast!
Make this in a Mason jar and you'll be set for two days. Double it and you'll have 4 days of carefree but fabulously healthy and satisfying lunches!
- 2 cups spiralized zucchini or chopped
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup sliced cucumber
- 1 ounce Asiago cheese, shaved or cubed
- 2 tablespoons vinaigrette
- Place 1 cup of spiralized zucchini noodles on each serving plate.
- Top with 1/4 cup cherry tomatoes on each plate.
- Add 1/4 cup sliced cucumbers to each serving.
- One half ounce of shaved or cubed Asiago cheese on top of the salad.
- Shake the vinaigrette well and pour 2 tablespoons over each salad.
- Another option is to toss everything into one large bowl then add 1/4 cup of the dressing to the entire bowl.
- Separate into two servings after it has been tossed well with the dressing.
- If preparing ahead for lunch the next day: pour 2 tablespoons of the dressing to the bottom of the mason jar. Add the ingredients in the order listed one on top of the other to a Mason jar. Cover and keep refrigerated until ready to serve. Once ready to serve vigorously shake the mason jar to toss everything together then place onto a plate or in a bowl.