Your sanctuary is beginning to look more like the last place you want to be. Take the time to spring clean your bedroom with this step-by-step tutorial. Spring cleaning your bedroom will give you back a peaceful night's rest.
Time Required: 1-2 hours
Dust down the ceiling and corners
Consider if the walls in your home need to be washed. Don’t forget air vents, doorknobs, and switch plates. Dust and clean all wall art. Be careful when cleaning framed art and photographs. Never spray cleaner or water onto the frame. The liquid can seep behind the glass and damage the pictures. Instead lightly wet a clean cloth to wipe the frame and glass.
More Dusting Resources
- Clean the ceiling fan
Dust the fan and fan blades. You may need to use a gentle cleanser like Murphy’s Oil soap mixed with water and a cleaning cloth. Take down light fixtures and gently wash and dry them before replacing.
More Cleaning Resources
Video: Clean a Ceiling Fan
- Take down draperies and curtains to wash or have cleaned according to the directions
Dust down any blinds and other window treatments. Dust down and wash window sills and corners. Wash the inside and outsides of windows. Take down and rinse off screens, before replacing.
More Windows Resources
- Wash all bedding, comforters, mattress pads, pillows, etc
Vacuum and flip your mattress over to provide even wear. Clean out from under your bed. Replace bed with clean bedding.
More Bed Cleaning Resources
- Dust down and clean all accent lamps and knickknacks
Use a vacuum attachment or duster to clean the lamp shade, lamps, and any extra decorative items.
- Dust down all dressers, chests, and nightstands
Clean any mirrors.
More Cleaning Resources
- Clean flooring
Dust and mop for hard floors. Professionally clean carpet, or vacuum and spot treat for mildly soiled floors.
More Floor Care Resources
- Use the 4 container method to go through your closets
Put the keep items back into the closet.
More Clutter Resources
- Either do the closets first or save them for last. Don't try to get started decluttering in the middle. You might get distracted and end up with nothing done.
- Music, an audio book, or a good friend on speaker phone are great ways to help pass the time.
- Don't skip under your bed. For many of us it can be scary, but it has to be done eventually.
What You Need:
- 4 boxes or containers
- Broom or vacuum
- Mop or carpet machine
- Spot carpet cleaner
- Dust mop
- Dust cloths
- Mild cleanser
- Laundry products for laundering bedding
- Mirror and window cleaner