This summer squash casserole is flavored with bacon, some onion, and cheese. It's a basic squash casserole made with eggs. The bacon is layered with the squash mixture and cheese.
This is a nice version of the family favorite squash casserole. It's usually made with yellow crookneck squash, but feel free to use zucchini or a combination.
- 4 strips bacon
- 5 medium yellow summer squash, or 32 ounces frozen sliced summer squash
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 eggs, beaten
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- Slice squash about 1/4-inch thick; cook in boiling salted water until tender. Fry bacon until crisp; drain on paper towels. Crumble bacon and set aside. In bacon drippings, brown onions. Add butter, squash, eggs, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring until eggs are cooked.
- In a 2-quart casserole dish, place half of the squash mixture. Sprinkle with half of the crumbled bacon and half of the shredded cheese.
- Top with remaining squash mixture, bacon, and cheese. Bake at 350° until hot and cheese is melted.
Serves 4 to 6.
You Might Also Like