Steaming is a simple way to cook vegetables, and it leaves the flavor intact. These steamed green beans are still bright green and have plenty of fresh flavors. What's the best thing about streaming vegetables, you wonder? They require little time and attention. Not to mention the fact that fewer nutrients end up in the water.
- 1 pound green beans (fresh)
- 1 to 2 tablespoons butter
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Wash the green beans and trim the stem ends. Leave them whole or cut.
- Set a steamer basket in a medium to a large saucepan filled with 2 inches of water.
- Put the green beans in the steamer basket.
- Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium, cover, and steam the green beans for 5 to 7 minutes, depending on how tender or crisp you like them.
- Discard the water in the saucepan. Add the butter and the steamed green beans and heat just until hot and butter has melted.
- Sprinkle with salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste.
You Might Also Like