Zucchini and tomatoes make a winning team this great-tasting side dish. This is an excellent way to use your fresh zucchini, and it's an easy recipe to prepare.
- 3 to 4 medium zucchini, unpeeled, cubed
- 1 large can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes (or two 14.5-ounce cans)
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 large sweet onion, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped bell pepper, green or combination of red and green
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- In a large saucepan, combine the zucchini, tomatoes*, tomato sauce, celery, onion, bell pepper, garlic, sugar, salt, and pepper. Place the pan over medium-high heat and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover the pan, and simmer for about 45 minutes, or until the zucchini and other vegetables are tender.
- Remove the cover for the last 10 minutes.
- Taste and adjust seasonings.
*Feel free to use fresh tomatoes if you have them.
Core and peel about 10 medium whole tomatoes; dice them and add them to the zucchini along with the tomato sauce, vegetables, and seasonings.
- Add about 1/2 pound of sliced fresh or frozen okra to the dish about halfway through the cooking time.
- Garnish the dish with cooked crumbled bacon.
- Saute about 1 cup of fresh sliced mushrooms and add them to the dish along with the zucchini and tomatoes.
- Complementary herbs: Basil, mint, oregano, thyme, and tarragon.