Stir-frying lowers the fat and calories in this variation on popular Chinese deep-fried Salt and Pepper Shrimp. Serves 4.
More Shrimp Recipes
- 1 pound large shrimp
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon sea salt or kosher salt
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, white pepper or Szechuan peppercorn, or to taste
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, for stir-frying
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 red chilli pepper, deseeded and chopped, optional
- 1/4 cup chopped green onion
- Soak the shrimp in warm, lightly salted water for 5 minutes. Rinse in cold water, drain and pat dry with paper towels. Lightly coat the shrimp with the cornstarch.
- In a small bowl, mix the salt with the freshly ground pepper and set aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons in a preheated wok on medium-high to high heat. When the oil is hot, add the shrimp and stir-fry until they turn pink. Remove from the wok. Clean out the wok.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in the wok. When the oil is hot, add the minced garlic, chili pepper and the salt and pepper mixture. Stir-fry until fragrant (10 - 15 seconds) and then add the shrimp back into the wok. Stir-fry to coat the shrimp into the salt and pepper mixture. Stir in the green onion or serve as a garnish with the shrimp.
More Chinese Shellfish Recipes
Main Chinese Food Recipe File