Storage is often lacking in a home or apartment. Closet space is at a premium, and every spot needs to be used to its maximum capacity. If you are lucky enough to have extra storage space with an attic or basement, it's important to use it wisely. By knowing exactly what to store in your attic and basement, you will ensure a tidy and organized home. These spots may seem like the perfect storage areas for everything, but that's not the case.
Storing items in your attic is far more preferable than storing them in the basement where they may get wet (think about flooding) or garage where they are exposed to the elements. Use the attic to store anything that is impervious to heat. Heat can damage things such as photographs and wood.
In the basement, store everything in clear plastic bins, labeled and not packed too heavily. You want to make sure you can lift the boxes easily, and if they happen to tumble over, they don't hurt anyone. If you are able, try to store your items up off the ground to protect them in case the basement does flood.
What to Store
While you might think that you can store just about anything in your attic or basement, some belongings are more suited for these environments. Consider storing these items in the attic or basement:
- Holiday decorations: Not just Christmas decorations, but think about Halloween costumes, Thanksgiving decor, Fourth of July party supplies, etc.
- Kitchen supplies: Put pots and pans you rarely use but need to hold onto, ceramics, plates, and dish sets.
- Project bins: Store items together that you use at the same time for projects, including outdoor entertaining and crafting.
- Travel items: This includes suitcases, duffel bags, and garment bags.
Consider storing anything you use regularly. Once something goes into storage on a floor of your house you don't use regularly, it tends to be forgotten.
What Not to Store
If you don't store pictures and old photos properly in the attic or basement, they could fall victim to the elements. If you take the time to store old photos correctly, you can safely store photos in either of these spaces.
Attic and Basement Storage Tips
Keep these storage tips in mind so your items can remain safe.
- Consider the elements: These areas can get humid and musty (and wet) in the summer and cold in the winter. Don't store anything that can be affected by the elements such as priceless works of art, food, or wood that may become warped.
- Use the right tools: Use boxes and containers that can stand up to the elements. You can use clear, labeled, plastic storage containers.
- Keep everything accessible: Store containers in rows like you would find at a grocery store so that each container is accessible and you don't have to move several boxes or bins to get to the one you want.