If you are lucky enough to have the extra storage space, it's important to use it wisely and know exactly what to store your in your attic and basement. They may seem like the perfect storage areas for everything, but that's not the case.
Storing items in your attic is far more preferable than storing them in the basement where they may get wet (think about flooding) or garage where they are exposed to the elements. Use the attic to store anything that is impervious to heat. Heat can damage things like photographs and wood. In the basement, store everything in clear plastic bins, labelled and not packed too heavily. You want to make sure you can lift the boxes easily, and if they happen to tumble over, they don't hurt anyone.
What to Store in the Attic + Basement
- Holiday decorations. Not just Christmas, but think about Halloween costumes, Thanksgiving decor, Fourth of July party supplies, etc.
- Kitchen supplies. Pots and pans you rarely use but need to hold onto. Ceramics, plate and dish sets, etc.
- Project bins. I like to store items together than I use at the same time for projects like outdoor entertaining and crafting. Read more about project bins.
- Travel items like suitcases, duffel bags and garment bags.
- Old photos that don't make the cut for hanging on the walls or photo books
What to Maybe Store in the Attic + Basement
Anything you use regularly. Once something goes into storage on a floor of your house you don't use regularly, it tends to be forgotten.
What Not to Store in the Attic + Basement
Old photos. If you take the time to store old photos correctly, you can safely store photos in either of these spaces, but if you don't take the time to store pictures properly, they could fall victim to the elements.
Attic and Basement Storage Tips
- Consider the elements. These can get humid and musty (and wet) in the summer and cold in the winter. Don't store anything that can be affected by the elements like priceless works of art, food or wood that may be warped.
- Make sure you use the right tools. Use boxes and containers that can stand up to the elements. I like clear, labeled, plastic storage containers.
- Keep everything accessible. I like to stores containers in rows like a grocery store so that each container is accessible and I don't have to move 8-9 boxes or bins to get to the one I want.