A cinnamon stick and some fresh lemon juice flavor these easy simmered fresh plums. Serve the stewed plums alongside baked ham or roasted pork, or serve them as a breakfast fruit. Or top the plums with whipped cream or ice cream for a fabulous dessert.
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup water
- dash salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 pound fresh ripe plums (about 8 small or 6 medium)
- In a medium saucepan, combine the granulated sugar, water, salt, and lemon juice. Add the cinnamon stick to the mixture and bring to a boil while stirring constantly.
- Wash the plums and cut them in half; remove the pits. Place the plum halves in the boiling syrup.
- Continue cooking for 3 to 5 minutes, or until plums are tender.
- Remove from heat and let them cool. Refrigerate to chill thoroughly.
Serve as a breakfast fruit or dessert with whipped topping.