Strawberries and cream are combined to make these delicious streusel topped strawberry muffins. Use light cream or half-and-half in these wonderful moist muffins. Great for breakfast or a snack any time of the day.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 6 tablespoons butter (melted)
- 2/3 cup half-and-half (or light cream)
- 1 1/2 cups fresh strawberries (cleaned, hulled, chopped)
- For the Topping:
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar (packed)
- 3 tablespoons butter (softened)
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1. Spray muffin pan with baking spray or nonstick cooking spray. Heat the oven to 375°.
2. In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, 1 cup granulated sugar, baking powder, and salt; blend well.
3. In a small bowl, whisk together the vanilla, eggs, and cream or half-and-half. Add to the dry ingredients along with the melted butter and stir just until combined. Fold in the strawberries. Fill muffin cups about 2/3 full.
4. Combine the topping ingredients, using a fork, pastry blender, or fingers, working until the mixture is crumbly. Sprinkle the top of each muffin with a generous amount of crumb topping.
5. Bake the muffins for about 20 to 25 minutes, until set and a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.
Tips for Great Muffins
Preheat the oven and put the muffins in to bake as soon as you have the muffin cups filled.
Mix muffin batter just until ingredients are moistened.
Don't fill the muffin cups more than 3/4 full.
Use a toothpick to test muffins for doneness. The toothpick will come out clean when the muffins are done.
Fruity muffins might be more prone to sticking in places. Run a knife or small metal spatula around the sides of each muffin to loosen.
Cool muffins completely on a rack.
To reheat, wrap muffins in foil and put in a preheated 325° oven for about 10 minutes.
More Muffin Recipes
Apple Bacon Muffins
The sweetness of the chopped apple and the saltiness of the bacon make a surprising and delicious combination of flavors. Make these muffins for a weekend brunch or breakfast treat, or bake them and take them along to work or a morning event.
Raspberry Nut Muffins
Delicious raspberry nut muffins will brighten any morning! Sprinkle the tops with a little cinnamon sugar just before baking.
These delicious date muffins are flavored with orange and vanilla extracts. Use walnut or pecan in these muffins, or add more chopped dates.
Finely shredded carrot and zucchini make these delightful summer muffins moist and delicious.