Bake this easy cinnamon and brown sugar crumb topped coffee cake in a square or round layer-cake pan. Every bite of this wonderful moist coffee cake includes a generous amount of lightly spiced brown sugar streusel topping. Serve the cake slightly warm or at room temperature.
It is delicious without nuts and needs no further embellishment, but feel free to add 1/4 to 1/2 cup of chopped pecans or walnuts to the streusel. Or sprinkle some fresh blueberries over the batter before you add the streusel.
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sifted all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup salted butter, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, 6 1/2 ounces
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup melted butter (salted or unsalted)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Heat the oven to 325° F. Butter and flour an 8-inch or 9-inch square or round layer cake pan
- In small mixing bowl 1/2 cup of brown sugar with 1/4 cup of all-purpose flour, and the cinnamon. Stir to blend and then work in the 1/4 cup of softened butter with a fork until the mixture is crumbly. Set the streusel aside.
- In a medium bowl combine the 1 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour with the baking powder and salt; blend thoroughly and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl beat the egg lightly and then beat in the sugar and the 1/3 cup of melted butter. Add milk and vanilla and blend well. Stir in flour mixture and mix until well blended.
- Spread the batter in the prepared baking pan.
- Sprinkle the brown sugar streusel topping mixture evenly over batter.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Partially cool in pan on wire rack before slicing.
- Cut coffee cake into squares while still warm.
- Serve the cake as a dessert with a scoop of ice cream and berries or serve it as a breakfast or brunch cake.
- Store the coffee cake in the refrigerator for up to 1 week or freeze in heavy duty freezer wrap for up to 3 months.
Make-Ahead Tip - Prepare the streusel topping a few hours in advance or the day before and refrigerate until you're ready to prepare and bake the cake.
- Streusel Coffee Cake With Cinnamon Pecan Crumb Topping - Add 1/4 to 1/2 cup of chopped pecans or walnuts to the crumb streusel topping.
You Might Also Like