Potatoes are baked then scooped out, mashed and seasoned, then spooned back into the shells.
Use cheddar, Monterey jack cheese, or a combination. Add chili to the potatoes, or add chives or green onions. See the topping and add-in suggestions in the tips and variations.
- Scrub potatoes and pat dry.
- Bake in a 350 F oven for 45 to 50 minutes or until cooked through and tender.
- Take a look at my step-by-step, how to make perfect baked potatoes.
- Increase the oven temperature to 425 F.
- Cut potatoes in half lengthwise; scoop out pulp and mash or put through a ricer.
- Beat in the butter, sour cream, and salt and pepper.
- Pile potato mixture back into only 6 of the shells. Sprinkle with the shredded cheese and then sprinkle with paprika.
- Bake for about 15 minutes or until the cheese has melted and potatoes are heated through. Serves 4 to 6.
Tips and Variations
- Top the potatoes with a tablespoon or two of chili before sprinkling with the shredded cheese and paprika.
- Add finely chopped fresh chives to the potatoes along with the butter and sour cream.
- Sprinkle thinly sliced green onions over the stuffed potatoes before adding the cheese.