This sugar-free cranberry sauce recipe comes from fifteen year old vegetarian and vegan chef and cookbook author Aurelie Pare. Yes, you can make cranberries without sugar! This version is sweetened with orange juice and dates instead of sugar.
Aurelie says, "Cranberry sauce is a wonderful topping for toast, cakes, pancakes, sweet potatoes, and oatmeal. It also makes a nice dip for fruit. The cranberry sauce recipe below will produce a tasty, sweet cranberry sauce without the empty of calories of processed sugar. Rather, the dried fruits and fruit juice used to sweeten this sauce add nutrients to it as well."
Recipe by Aurelie Pare, the author of The Healthaliciously Good Cookbook, available at Eatinghealthaliciously.blogspot.com.
Scroll down for more Thanksgiving, Christmas and holiday cranberry and cranberry sauce recipes to try.
- 2 parts fresh cranberries
- 1 part orange juice concentrate
- 1 part apricot or date puree
- Cinnamon to taste (optional)
In a large pot (preferably nonstick or with a thick bottom), mix the juice and cranberries together.
Bring the mixture to a boil and let it simmer until all the cranberries "pop". Stir the mixture often and watch it carefully as cranberry sauce burns easily.
Remove the sauce from the heat and stir in the apricot or date puree. Serve!
Aurelie offers a few extra tips for this healthaliciously good sugar-free cranberry sauce:
- Choose a calcium-fortified orange juice if possible.
- If desired, you can use apple or white grape juice concentrate instead of orange juice concentrate.
- This sauce will keep for about a week in the refrigerator and actually tastes better as it ages, so feel free to lessen your load on the "Big Day' by making it in advance.
Enjoy your healthy refined sugar-free cranberry sauce!
More cranberry sauce recipes to try:
- Healthy raw food cranberry sauce recipe
- Gourmet cranberry sauce with blueberries
- Fall cranberry sauce with apples
Even more vegetarian and vegan cranberry recipes:
- Cranberry and lemon scones
- Vegan cranberry stuffing
- More cranberry recipes