This carrot cake recipe is simple and easy to follow. And, since it's egg-free and dairy-free, it's also low in fat and cholesterol-free.
This super easy vegan carrot cake is made with cinnamon applesauce to keep it nice and moist, which means that you don't need an egg-replacer or an egg substitute at all. While this does keep it simple and makes it virtually foolproof (and a great vegan cake recipe for new vegans or anyone new to baking to try), it also means that this carrot cake isn't super light and fluffy. But that's ok - it's carrot cake, after all, and not angel food cake (which is supposed to be light and fluffy!).
Frost your homemade vegan carrot cake with a traditional vegan cream cheese frosting. Or, you might also want to try this recipe for a vegan lemon frosting which would also go nicely with this carrot cake.
If this vegan carrot cake doesn't sound like the recipe you're looking for, try checking out my dozens of other vegan cake recipes here. Enjoy!
- 1/4 cup cinnamon applesauce (plain applesauce is fine too, of course, but the cinnamon adds just a touch of extra deliciousness!)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup vegan margarine, softened
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1/4 cup soy milk
- 1 cup grated carrots
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped (optional)
- Pre-heat your oven to 325 degrees. Grease and lightly flour a 9-inch square baking pan (you can also use sugar in place of the flour, or a combination of the two if you'd like).
- In a large bowl or using a mixer, combine the applesauce, vanilla, vegan margarine, salt, baking powder, cinnamon, sugar, flour and soy milk until well mixed. Add the carrots and walnuts, gently folding them in to combine well. I personally prefer a carrot cake without walnuts, so I leave them out (and sprinkle them on top of the frosting, rather than in the cake!), but I find that most other people actually prefer the walnuts. They're optional - up to you.
- Spread your carrot cake batter evenly in your prepared baking pan.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for 45 minutes.
- Allow your carrot cake to cool completely.
- Frost your vegan carrot cake with a vegan cream cheese frosting, or, you might also want to try this recipe for a vegan lemon frosting. Enjoy!
See, now wasn't that super easy?
See also: More vegan cake recipes