The supplies you need to get started scrapbooking do not need to be overwhelming. You can get started with just a few important craft tools and supplies. You have the photos and you have seen gorgeous scrapbooks that friends or relatives have made. You even have a budding desire to be a scrapbooker, but when you enter the scrapbook aisle at the craft store or walk into a scrapbook store, you feel lost and don't know where to begin.
There are so many products available in the scrapbooking industry that it is easy to feel lost or overwhelmed. Print this list and take it with you when you go shopping and you will be able to focus on those things that you really need to get started making beautiful scrapbooks!
1) An Album - Select the size album you want to work in and find a color or pattern that works for the theme of your album.
2) Refill pages for your album. Refills are not standard sizes, so it is best to pick up a few packs when you purchase your album so that you get the same manufacturer and size. This way you will not have to hunt for the refills later.
3) A nice sharp pair of scissors. My favorites have very fine tips and are comfortable to hold in my hand. You want a pair of scissors that are dedicated exclusively to your scrapbooking. This way they are always with your supplies and always nice and sharp.
4) Adhesive. There are many, many different styles of adhesive. To get started you want an acid-free adhesive that will work well on both cardstock and photos. A couple of my personal favorites are: 3L Click 'n' Stick Mounting Squares, Herma Dotto Removable, and Herma Vario Wheel Dispenser. To see a complete collection of the different types of adhesive available and tips for their use visit the Scrapbook Adhesive gallery.
5) Cardstock and Patterned Papers. Select paper to go with the colors you wish to accent in your photos. You may want to purchase paper at your local scrapbook store so that you can select individual sheets for each page.
6) Journal Pens. Look for acid-free, permanent, pens with fine tips for hand writing your journaling. If you wish to hand write titles for your pages you may wish to purchase pens that have a fine tip on one end and a wider tip on the opposite end. Read to help you get started using journaling pens.
Very High on the "Want" List:
1) A 12" Paper Trimmer.
2) Embellishments that coordinate with your pages, such as stickers, 3-D Stickers, buttons, and more. You will also want to learn that allow you create your own page embellishments.
3) Ideas to Inspire You. Layout galleries and free scrapbook page sketches will help you get started creating beautiful scrapbook pages.
Scrapbook Supplies Wish List:
1) A Die Cut Machine with an Alphabet Set of Dies.
2) Full Set of Journaling Pens.
3) Circle/Oval Cutter.
4) More, more, more. Once you get started it's hard to stop.
You will find yourself wanting more paper, more embellishments, and eventually more albums!