Suprême Sauce Recipe
The Suprême Sauce is a finished sauce made by enriching a chicken velouté sauce with heavy cream.
The Suprême Sauce is an ideal accompaniment for sautéed chicken. It's also the base from which a number of other classical sauces are built — such as the Ivory, the Mushroom or the Aurora sauces.
Also see: The Mother Sauces
- 1 quart chicken velouté
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Kosher salt
- White pepper (freshly ground, to taste)
- In a heavy-bottomed saucepan, gently heat the heavy cream to just below a simmer, but don't let it boil. Cover and keep warm.
- Heat the velouté in a separate saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil, then lower heat to a simmer and reduce for about 5 minutes or until the total volume has reduced by about a cup.
- Stir the warm cream into the velouté and bring it back to a simmer for just a moment.
- Stir in the butter, season to taste with Kosher salt and white pepper and just a dash of lemon juice. Strain through cheesecloth and serve right away.