These summer squash patties are easy to prepare, and they can be made with yellow summer squash or zucchini.
- Heat the olive oil in a heavy skillet over medium-high heat.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the grated squash with the flour, cornmeal, finely chopped onion, beaten egg, and freshly ground black pepper.
- Spoon the squash mixture into the hot skillet, using about 2 tablespoons for each squash patty. Cook, turning halfway through, or until the patties are golden brown on both sides. Drain on paper towels and sprinkle lightly with salt.
- Serve with applesauce, sour cream, Greek yogurt, or a fresh fruit salsa or tomato salsa.
- Sprinkle lightly with salt.
- Suzi's Note: I enjoy these very much! Sometimes I make them real crispy, other times I make them like potato pancakes and have applesauce with them.
- Add a few tablespoons of finely chopped red or green bell pepper to the squash mixture.
- Add chopped fresh parsley for extra color and flavor.
- Add about 1/4 cup of shredded cheddar cheese or a few tablespoons of grated Parmesan cheese.
- Mix 1/2 teaspoon of oregano or Italian seasoning blend and serve the patties with marinara or prepared spaghetti sauce.
You Might Also Like