Taking a look at The Sweaty Hipster, one can say that this is an enhanced Margarita. The defining ingredient in this Steven Calabro, Head Mixologist at Red O in Los Angeles, creation is the serrano and mint infused simple syrup.
That single ingredient makes the drink a captivating tongue tantalizer and can be used elsewhere in your cocktail explorations. It adds a nice depth to the classic Margarita and can easily be integrated into a Margarita drink menu.
- Rim a highball glass with chile salt.
- Pour the liquid ingredients into a cocktail shaker filled with ice.
- Shake well.
- Strain into the prepared glass.
- Garnish with slices for serrano pepper.
*Serrano/Mint Simple Syrup:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 2 serrano chile peppers, sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh mint, torn
- Bring the water to a boil, add sugar and stir constantly until completely dissolved.
- Allow the syrup to cool.
- Place the syrup, peppers, and mint into a blender.
- Blend until mixed well.
- Strain the syrup through a sieve or fine mesh strainer to remove pepper and mint. Repeat until all are removed.
- Discard the mint and peppers. Bottle the syrup, label and date the bottle, and store in the refrigerator.
Recipe Courtesy: Hornitos Tequila