I first made this gluten-free cornbread five years ago, and it's been the only gluten-free cornbread recipe I've used since.
Fluffy, light, sweet, and bursting with yellow corn kernels, it's everything cornbread should be. And gluten-free.
In addition to gluten-free ground yellow cornmeal, the base of this recipe is Gluten-Free Bisquick. I always have a box in my pantry for when I'm short on time and cannot make my own gluten-free pancake mix from scratch. Gluten-Free Bisquick is so versatile, it can be used for so much more than pancakes...like baked goods and a cornbread no one will guess is gluten-free.
This recipe has no butter or oil except for a light spray of cooking spray to grease the baking dish. Instead, this recipe uses nonfat Greek Yogurt and a miracle product from Sunsweet called Lighter Bake. If you've never used Lighter Bake before, oh my. You should try it.
Made from a blend of dried plums and apples, Lighter Bake is a wonderful fat-free, cholesterol-free, and gluten-free replacement for oil, shortening, and butter. It helps create yummy moist baked goods in a lighter, healthier way.
I like to bake this cornbread in a pie dish and serve like warm thick slices of pie. Hearty, golden, gluten-free slabs that beg to be slathered with jam, like this Blackberry Chia Seed Jam.
You can slice and freeze this gluten-free cornbread to enjoy at a later date. What better treat than cornbread you only have to thaw and warm?
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees F. Coat a 9″ round or 8″ square dish with a light spray of cooking spray.
- Combine gluten-free cornmeal, Gluten-Free Bisquick, sugar, and baking powder in a large bowl. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together Greek yogurt, Lighter Bake, and egg until well combined. Pour over dry ingredients and mix well.
- Add corn kernels to cornbread batter and fold until just blended. Pour batter into greased baking dish. Smooth the top with a knife or offset spatula.
- Bake 20-25 minutes, until cornbread is golden brown and a toothpick through the center comes out clean.
- Allow gluten-free cornbread to cool 15 minutes before serving. Serve warm with fresh jam, or freeze completely cooled cornbread to enjoy another time.
Reminder: Always make sure your work surfaces, utensils, pans and tools are free of gluten. Always read product labels - not all brands are created equal. Manufacturers can change product formulations without notice. When in doubt, do not buy or use a product before contacting the manufacturer for verification that the product is free of gluten.