Sweet and sour is very popular sauce in Chinese cuisine. While there are many different ways to make sweet and sour sauce this recipe is the style that would be found in a Chinese (Cantonese) restaurant. With this recipe there's no reason to store sweet and sour packets anymore, you can simply make your own at home! This sauce isn't just for Chinese food either, it goes great with things like chicken nuggets as well. Why not try it on a hamburger? If you love sweet and sour you can add it to anything you want.
- 200 ml Water
- 100 ml Ketchup
- 100 ml Rice vinegar
- 100 g Rock sugar (You can also use caster sugar or demerara sugar. But rock sugar is preferable for taste)
- 1/2 tablespoon potato starch mix with 1 tablespoon water
- Some salt for seasoning
- Add all the ingredients to the saucepan and mix evenly before you start cooking.
- You must continuously stir the sauce to prevent the sauce from getting lumpy.
- Bring the sauce to the boil and turn the fire to the lowest temperature and simmer until the sauce texture has turned thick and sticky. Then it’s ready. You can stir fry some pork or chicken with vegetable and pour the sauce in.
- If you have any extra sauce, you can keep it in a dry and clean container after it’s cool down and store it in the fridge. Usually, this sauce should last 7-10 days in the fridge if you store it properly.
Edited by Liv Wan