Like barbecue tofu? This recipe for Sweet and Spicy Barbecue Tofu has a bit of sugar and orange juice for sweetness but gets a spicy kick from chili powder and red pepper. Tofu is always a healthy, low-fat and easy to grill item to bring along to a vegetarian barbecue, and this easy vegetarian and vegan recipe is sure to be a hit!
- 1 pound extra firm tofu, well pressed and sliced into 3/4 inch rectangles
- 3/4 cup barbecue sauce
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3/4 cup orange juice concentrate
- Salt and pepper to taste
- First, prepare your tofu. Like most vegan tofu recipes, this one will taste best if you press the tofu first. Not sure how to do that? See this easy step-by-step guide: How to press tofu.
- Whisk together the barbecue sauce, sugar, chili powder, pepper and orange juice over medium low heat until well combined, about 3 minutes.
- Place the barbecue sauce mixture in a wide flat dish, and place the tofu in the sauce, coating both sides well. Allow to marinate for at least two hours.
- Grill for 4 or 5 minutes on each side, brushing with additional sauce.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper just before serving.
Never grilled tofu before? Check out these tofu grilling tips.
More Vegetarian and Vegan Barbecue Recipes:
Grilled Pineapple with Coconut
Sweet and Spicy Barbecued Tofu
Balsamic Barbecued Beets
Grilled Eggplant with Basil
Barbecue Tandoori Seitan
Garlicky Grilled New Potatoes
Vegetarian Grilled Apples and Cabbage
Grilled Peaches with Ice Cream
Spicy Grilled Corn on the Cob
Herbed Barbecue Corn on the Cob
Sugar Glazed Barbecue Sweet Corn
Thai Style Barbecued Eggplant
Tequila Flavored Portobella Mushrooms