This recipe for sweet cheese strudel filling is made with regular creamed cottage cheese and cream cheese.
Every cook has his or her favorite. If you omit the sugar, you can turn it into what Serbs and Croatians call a salty (savory) cheese filling.
This makes enough to fill two strudels. Here's a great strudel dough recipe.
- 2 pounds cottage cheese (creamed, undrained)
- 8 ounces cream cheese (softened)
- 6 tablespoons tapioca
- 1 1/2 cups sugar (white)
- 2 large egg yolks
- In a large bowl, combine cottage cheese, cream cheese, tapioca, sugar, and egg yolks. It doesn't have to be perfectly smooth.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight or at least 2 hours.
- Use to fill your favorite strudel dough.
If cheese filling in strudel isn't your idea of heaven, try one of these strudel recipes. There's bound to be one that catches your eye and taste buds!
And if time is a factor, don't count out prepared puff pastry or filo dough instead of making your own strudel dough.
No one will never know!