Diced bananas add natural sweetness to this sweet potato casserole along with the orange juice and some packed brown sugar. The recipe can be made with or without a topping. See the variations below the recipe for a three popular toppings and some ingredient variations.
The simple sweet potato custard mixture is made with mashed sweet potatoes, eggs, brown sugar, and orange juice.
Related Recipe: Our Most Requested Sweet Potato Casserole Recipe
- 2 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes, cooked & mashed
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 medium bananas, peeled and diced
- Scrub the sweet potatoes and then peel with a vegetable peeler. Cut the potatoes into chunks and put them in a large saucepan. Fill the pan with water to cover the sweet potatoes and add 1 teaspoon of salt.
- Place the saucepan over high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and continue cooking for about 25 to 30 minutes, or until the potatoes are very tender. Drain thoroughly and transfer the potatoes to a large bowl. Mash until very smooth. Let the mixture cool slightly.
- Alternatively, bake the scrubbed unpeeled sweet potatoes in a 375 F oven for about 45 minutes, or until very tender. Let them cool, scoop the sweet potato out of the skins, and mash.
- Heat oven to 350 F.
- Grease a 2 1/2-quart baking dish.
- To the sweet potatoes, add the beaten eggs, brown sugar, orange juice, butter, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Beat by hand or with an electric mixer until well blended. Fold in the diced bananas.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared baking dish; cover with foil.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes. Remove the foil and bake an additional 10 minutes.
Serves 6 to 8
- Pecan Topping: Combine 1/2 cup of packed brown sugar with 1/2 cup of flour, 4 tablespoons of melted butter, and about 1/2 cup of chopped pecans. If desired, add 1/2 cup of flaked coconut as well. Sprinkle over the casserole before baking.
- Coconut-Pecan Topping: Combine 1 cup of flaked coconut with 1/3 cup of packed brown sugar, 1/3 cup of all-purpose flour, 3/4 cup of chopped pecans, and 6 tablespoons of melted butter. Mix with a fork and sprinkle over the casserole before baking.
- Marshmallow Topping: Prepare and bake as directed; remove the foil. Increase the oven heat to 450 F. Top the casserole with 1 1/2 to 2 cups of miniature marshmallows and continue baking for 6 to 8 minutes, or until the marshmallows are browned.
- Replace the orange juice with pineapple juice.
- If your bananas are very ripe, mash them before adding them to the sweet potato filling mixture.
You Might Also Like