This classic sweet potato casserole is the perfect combination of sweet potato filling and crunchy buttery, pecan topping. It's our most requested sweet potato casserole recipe, and it's always a hit with family and guests.
This is the perfect side dish casserole for your Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner. If your family prefers a marshmallow topping, see the variations below the recipe.
- 3 cups mashed sweet potatoes, cooled
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/3 cup melted butter
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Heat the oven to 350 F (180 C/Gas 4). Butter a 2-quart casserole or baking dish.
- In a large bowl combine the mashed sweet potatoes with 1 cup of brown sugar, eggs, vanilla, milk, and 1/2 cup of melted butter. Blend thoroughly; spoon the mixture into the prepared baking dish.
- In another bowl combine the 1/2 cup of brown sugar, flour, 1/3 cup of melted butter, and the chopped pecans; blend well. Sprinkle the pecan mixture over the top of the sweet potato mixture.
- Bake the casserole for 35 to 40 minutes, until the filling is hot and the topping has browned.
To Make Ahead To save a little time, prepare the sweet potato filling the day before. Transfer to the prepared baking dish, cover, and refrigerate. You may also prepare the topping in a separate bowl; cover and refrigerate. Take the casserole out of the refrigerator about 30 minutes before baking. Spread with the topping and bake as directed.
- Marshmallow Topping - Omit the pecan topping and bake the casserole for 30 minutes. Top with about three to four cups of mini marshmallows. Return to the oven for 10 minutes longer, or until the marshmallows are lightly browned.
- Pecan and Marshmallow Topping - Reduce the pecan topping ingredients by about half and sprinkle all around the edge of the baking dish. Bake for 30 minutes, then fill the center in with about two to three cups of miniature marshmallows. Continue baking for 10 more minutes, or until the marshmallows are lightly browned.
"I made this for a thanksgiving work potluck and not only won a $50 gift card for best dish overall but have given been asked for this recipe from nearly everyone that ate it. its very sweet (almost more of a dessert than a side), but delicious!" Erica
"My Mom has bragged about it since Christmas. It's as though she didn't think I could make sweet potatoes this well. Thanks for this recipe. Ooey gooey goodness." Tyla
"Every year my father makes sweet potato casserole. At my in-laws this year I attempted it using this recipe. I was dreading the results... But it turned out amazing! I doubled the recipe and got rave reviews!!!!" C.H.
"This sweet potato casserole was absolutely delicious! It made my weekend, I ate it up in 3 days. I'm making it again tonight!" Alexa
You Might Also Like