Egg-In-a-Hole, Egg-In-A-Basket, or Toad-In-A-Hole; whatever you call them, they are a delicious egg and bread hybrid. The perfect all-in-one breakfast.
This egg-in-a-hole is super easy to make into a Valentine's Day breakfast. Just cut out the hole using a heart-shaped cookie cutter! So easy and makes such an adorable presentation.
This recipe does use a bit of butter, but you can help make this dish a little healthier by using whole grain bread and a nice grass fed butter. Pasture raised eggs are also a great way to boost the nutrition of this dish!
Serve it up with a side of heart-shaped oven-cooked bacon and you have the perfect Valentine's breakfast! Ok, you should probably add some fruit in there too.
- 1 slice whole wheat bread (toasted)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large egg
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- Using a heart-shaped cookie cutter, cut out the center of the bread.
- Heat a medium sized frying pan to medium heat. Add the butter, once it has melted, swirl to coat.
- Add the bread to the pan and let it cook on that side until golden. Flip the bread over.
- Crack the egg into the hole in the bread. Turn the heat to low, cover and cook for about 2 minutes or until the egg has been cooked through. You may also flip the bread over to finish cooking the egg on the other side. Toast up the cut out bread piece in the pan as well and use for dipping in the egg!
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper and serve!