Homecooked barbecue chicken legs are super easy when you use your slow cooker. It's a great recipe for busy families and if you prepare it in the morning, it will be ready just in time for dinner.
This recipe could not be easier. Simply place frozen chicken legs and barbecue sauce in the slow cooker and turn on the heat. Really, that's it! It can easily be customized to fit your taste as well. Skin and brown thawed legs or spice up the sauce with a few ingredients. It's a fantastic foundation to play with and your family will love it.
Serve these barbecue legs alongside mashed potatoes or coleslaw for a well-balanced meal.
- 6 to 8 frozen chicken legs (or use drumettes)
- 1 bottle thick barbecue sauce
- Put frozen chicken legs in a slow cooker.
- Pour barbecue sauce over them.
- Cover and cook on high for 5 to 7 hours, or until thoroughly cooked.
For Thawed Chicken Legs
If your chicken is already thawed out, rinse and pat them dry before placing the legs in the slow cooker. You can also remove the skin to reduce the fat or brown them in the skillet first.
Thawed chicken legs should also be cooked for 5 to 7 hours but set the slow cooker on low.
Add Flavor to Your Legs
It's very easy to add extra flavors and spice to your barbecue sauce. You can add ingredients like 2 teaspoons of mustard or 1/4 cup honey, salt, and pepper, or Worcestershire sauce. To add a little spice, add a few dashes of Tabasco or your favorite hot sauce.
Tip: Use the sauce from this slow cooker chicken wing recipe for inspiration.
Mix your sauce in a bowl and stir it well after adding each ingredient. Taste your new sauce and adjust the flavor until it's exactly how you like it. As it cooks, the flavors will intensify slightly, so be sure that you do not make it too spicy for people to enjoy.
More Crock Pot Chicken Ideas
Quick and wholesome chicken dinners are easy in the slow cooker. Explore other fantastic chicken recipes and explore the full potential of the long, slow cook.
- Simple Slow Cooker Chicken Barbecue - Use this recipe when you want to make a barbecue chicken sandwiches. It's fantastic with coleslaw.
- Italian-Style Chicken With Spaghetti - Dry spaghetti mix and a can of tomatoes are used to create tasty chicken breasts that are perfect over pasta.
- Chicken and Black Beans - Enjoy Tex-Mex with this fiesta chicken recipe, complete with black beans, corn, tomatoes, and plenty of s
- Rustic Style Chicken - An old-fashioned dinner is easy with this bacon, tomato, and mushroom chicken dish. Skip the artichokes if you like, but the red wine and mustard sauce is required.