This tangy coleslaw is made with a simple sweet and hot vinegar dressing. This is an excellent coleslaw to use as a topping for pulled pork or pulled chicken sandwiches. It's a delicious topping for burgers, too. Or serve it along with a ham or pork dinner, fried shrimp, oysters, or fish and chips. It would be fantastic on fish tacos!
The hot dressing wilts the cabbage somewhat and acts as a marinade. You get all of the flavor with less fat and sugar clinging to the cabbage than a typical mayonnaise dressing.
I've included some visitor comments and suggestions below the recipe.
Related Recipe: Coleslaw With Vinegar or Creamy Dressing
- 1 cabbage, finely shredded or about 1 1/2 to 2 pounds of packaged shredded coleslaw mix
- 1 medium red onion, quartered and thinly sliced
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 cup vinegar
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- Combine shredded cabbage with sliced onion.
- Combine dressing ingredients in a saucepan and bring to boil. Pour over cabbage and toss.
- Cool the coleslaw and then refrigerate until serving time.
This coleslaw makes a wonderful topping for bbq sandwiches.
Tips and Variations
- Add 1 medium shredded or julienne-cut carrot to the coleslaw.
- Add about 1/4 cup of thinly sliced radish.
- Add about 1 cup of shredded red cabbage to the coleslaw.
Best Coleslaw Ever: Never did I expect to get so many compliments for a coleslaw! I don't even care that much for coleslaw. Took it to the softball team cookout and had to promise many people that I would send the recipe. I did confess that I found the recipe on about.com. Thanks, Diana Rattray. This recipe is in my cook's notebook now. ~skip
A Huge Favorite: Every time I have made this it goes over huge. I've made it to serve with my ribs, pulled pork, turkey, brats, and with sandwiches at company parties. I can tell you one thing. Bring plenty of copies of the recipe. Everyone loves it. Easy to make and easy to store. Even people that aren't huge fans of slaw liked this one. ~dklarson
Crowd Pleaser: Made this for our New Year's Eve party, along with pulled pork sandwiches. Total hit. Everyone loved it, and three people demanded the recipe. We put it on the pulled pork sandwiches, Carolina-style. The only thing I would say is that I actually cut the amount of dressing in half and then it didn't get as soggy. LOVED THIS! ~MamaD
More Cole Slaw Recipes