There isn't much that a good Thai peanut sauce doesn't go with. It's a hit from noodles and pasta to stir-fried veggies and tofu. Sling it on salad, spring rolls, slaw dressings or veggie wraps -- the ubiquitous Thai sauce is a flavorful pairing for tons of great dishes. Plus, Thai vegan sauce is almost always dairy-free and vegan. That doesn't make it low-in fat though since nuts naturally provide quite a bit of healthy fat.
This basic vegan peanut sauce recipe isn't too spicy, so kids will especially love the peanut butter taste. It starts with peanut butter instead of peanuts, so it saves a step in grinding and blending the sauce. Make a double or triple portion and stash some in the refrigerator for later!
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tbsp. soy sauce
- 2 tbsp. lime juice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced and crushed
- 2 tbsp. rice vinegar
- Combine peanut butter, water, soy sauce, lime juice, garlic and rice vinegar in a saucepan over low heat. (Mixture will become easy to combine as peanut butter melts.)
- Continue stirring over low heat until ingredients are combined and mixture is smooth and creamy.
- This recipe is perfect as it is, but you may want to thin it out a bit with more water, depending on what you're using it for.
- If you're new to eating Thai food, this vegan peanut sauce can be a great introduction into the delicious cuisine of Thailand, since it is easy to make and not spicy. Thai cuisine is light, healthy, fragrant and full of vegetables. And while it can have a fiery kick, it doesn't have to. If you're ordering out, be sure to specify you would like your dish mild, at least until you have a sense for the amount of spiciness you can handle.
Thai food is very friendly for people eating plant-based diets. Check out these other vegetarian and vegan Thai recipes for inspiration:
- Thai Peanut Sauce with Ginger Recipe
- Easy Thai Coconut Soup Recipe
- Thai-Inspired Carrot Dish Recipe
- Raw Pad Thai Salad Recipe
- Light and Crispy Spring Rolls Recipe
- Vegan Coconut Rice Recipe
- Thai Style Spring Rolls Recipe
- Basic Spring Roll Dipping Sauce Recipe
- Thai-Style Stir Fry Recipe with Hoisin Sauce
Billis, S. One Peanut Sauce, Endless Recipes. Retrieved December 4, 2016, from Momtastic Food, http://www.momtastic.com/food/166971-one-peanut-sauce-endless-recipes/
Thai food for beginners. (2013, October 6). Retrieved December 4, 2016, from World Travel Family, http://worldtravelfamily.com/beginners-guide-thai-food/