01 of 08
Outdoor Rugs Complete the Look of Your Seating Area
Outdoor rugs are fairly new on the casual living scene -- you rarely see one pictured in a backyard lifestyle or landscape design book prior to the late 1990s. Rugs tie seating areas together. They can help establish and define an outdoor room, especially one with no walls. Natural materials like sea grass and sisal work well outdoors, as do the numerous synthetics and composites (some with recycled materials). Group furniture and a few well-placed potted plants, and you've got the start of... a great-looking outdoor living space.
Here's a secret: after years of children's and pets' spills and messes on carpeting and rugs, you might want to get a little smarter and hunt down end-of-season discounts on outdoor rugs for inside the house, to withstand all of that, umm, action. Most are made of sturdy synthetics and can be hosed off.
Pictured: Palm Lamontage Outdoor RugContinue to 2 of 8 below.
02 of 08
CB2 Ombre Outdoor Rug
Where to get it: CB2
Created by designer Aelfie Oudghiri, this beautiful design features shades of black to white (and blue) to ground your outdoor floor in a modern ombre look. This lightweight 100 percent recycled polypropylene rug can also be taken to the beach or campsite and comes with a jute storage bag. Care is fairly easy: it is reversible and can be shaken off or sprayed with a hose to clean.Continue to 3 of 8 below.
03 of 08
Mad Mats Pennsylvania Dutch Rug
Where to get it: Amazon
Mad Mats are popular for their durability and beautiful designs--these aren't your typical hardware store indoor/outdoor rugs. This model is the Pennsylvania Dutch, available in three color combinations.
Continue to 4 of 8 below.
- Numerous sizes available
- Made of 100 percent recycled polypropylene, with polyester/nylon ribbon
- Packaged with Velcro stays to keep corners down in windy locations
- Strong enough to be outside all year without care; Beautiful and sophisticated enough to go inside anywhere
- B...reathable; made to resist mildew or rot from wooden decks. They also don't trap water
- Comes with a one-year color guarantee
04 of 08
Pier 1 Coral Blues
Where to get it: Pier 1 Imports
While real coral usually is associated with off-white or, coral, Pier 1's coral-patterned rug uses those fabulous shapes associated with the beach and sealife and mixes them with the colors that represent the coast -- blues and greens. The result is a striking work of to walk on and tie together your outdoor furniture on the deck or patio.
Continue to 5 of 8 below.
- Two sizes: 5 feet wide x 7 feet, 6 inches in length or 8 feet wide x 10 feet long
- Material: Made of 100 percent... Olefin, which is softer than wool underfoot.
- For indoor or covered outdoor use
- Clean by rinsing with a garden hose
05 of 08
Pottery Barn Trina Indoor/Outdoor Rug
Where to get it: Pottery Barn
This eco-friendly geometric star-motif rug might remind you of tile work, and with its mottled oranges and greys, will anchor outdoor furnishings in a variety of materials, colors, and textures.
- Woven of recycled PET yarn
- Ideal for outdoor or indoor use
- Woven of 100% recycled PET yarn.
Continue to 6 of 8 below.
- Flat weave.
- Comes in assorted sizes.
06 of 08
Fab Habitat Lhasa
Where to get it: Amazon
A vibrant orange, red, and dark pink woven rug that will add a splash of color to your outdoor seating area.
Continue to 7 of 8 below.
- Made of recyclable materials: it's woven from straws made up of recycled plastic
- Washable: to clean, just shake it or spray it with the hose
- Reversible to change the look
- Suitable for indoor and outdoor uses/
- Lightweight and easy to carry; comes with an eco-friendly jute bag
- Sizes of rugs vary: 3 x 5 feet, 4 x 6 feet, 5 x 8 feet, and 6 x 9 feet
07 of 08
Zen Garden Grass Rug
Where to get It: Amazon
You get the look of a lawn without the upkeep, including wasting water in areas threatened by drought. Plus, it just looks fun and feels good underfoot.
Continue to 8 of 8 below.
- Can be used both indoors or outdoors (even on walls)
- Densely packed with faux grass blades
- Rubber-backed with drainage holes. Blades are about 0.4 inches long
- Available in different sizes, including 4 x 2 feet, 6 x 4 feet, 12 x 6 feet, and a huge 24 x 12 feet.
08 of 08
Adgo Collection Modern Non-Slip Rug
Where to get it: Amazon
Affordable and stylish contemporary rugs by the Adgo Collection are designed with rubber-backed non-slip material for a colorful addition to your outdoor room
- Available in assorted sizes
- Modern colors and patterns that will coordinate with your outdoor (or indoor) style and furnishings
- Made of 100 percent polypropylene pile
- Pil is about 0.3 inches high
- Easy to clean