01 of 10
Playhouses to Buy and Build on Your Own
You're still building a playhouse on your own—except the pieces are already cut and finished. Playhouse kits usually offer more options and extras, just like miniature model homes. It's a great introduction to DIY outdoor structures. Read the instructions and assemble. Piece of cake, right? You still need to be mindful of a few basics, like:
Continue to 2 of 10 below.
- Make sure all pieces are included
- If something seems unclear, consult the manufacturer's website
- Gather all tools and supplies
- Enlist help (like... those kids who'll be using the playhouse)
- Lightly sand rough edges of wood pieces
- Don't rush through the project: Haste makes waste
02 of 10
Little Alexandra's Cottage
What: Little Alexandra's Cottage Deluxe Playhouse Kit with Covered Front Porch
Brand: Canadian Playhouse Factory
Materials: Cedar and exterior-grade plywood.
This easy-to-assemble playhouse features a covered front porch and a fun Dutch door. It can be painted or left natural.
Continue to 3 of 10 below.
- Pre-assembled walls and pre-shingled roof for easy assembly
- 72 x 72 x 72 inches
- 450 pounds
- Features three cedar windows with shutters
- Full Dutch door with shelf
- Two flower boxes
- Clear cedar deck with railing
- Finished... interior with rounded studs for splinter free touch
03 of 10
Wooden Emma Playhouse
What: Emma Playhouse on Poles
Materials: Asian cedar wood, Cunninghemia lanceolata. This wood is sourced from carefully managed, sustainable plantation forests.
- Parts are sanded to a smooth finish for extra safety
- Slanted window frame is constructed to keep small fingers from getting trapped
- Magnetic catches on doors an windows are child friendly
- Panels are made of cedar planks (15 mm), slotted into an extra-thick framework (38 mm)
- Materials are strong and durable
- Low maintenance and... resistant to insects, rot, and fungi
- Panels are waterproof and finished with a protective water-based stain
.Continue to 4 of 10 below.
04 of 10
Backyard Discovery Aspen All Cedar Wood Playhouse
What: Aspen All-Cedar Wood Playhouse
Brand: Backyard Discovery
Continue to 5 of 10 below.
- Oval set door window with working door knob and latch
- Side serving station with bench
- Comes with play burner
- Fruit and vegetables basket
- Play sink and faucet
05 of 10
Victorian Playhouse Kit by Little Cottage
What: A Victorian-style playhouse kit
Brand: Little Cottage
This Victorian mini-mansion boasts many amenities with plenty of space to decorate and furnish. And for many young "homeowners," decorating, redecorating, and moving around furniture is half the fun of playing house.
All parts are precut and ready to assemble.
Continue to 6 of 10 below.
- Hardwood flooring
- Two working windows (12 x 18 inches) with safety glass, grids, and screens
- Shutters and flower boxes
- One painted heart-shaped plexiglass window
- Child-size...d Dutch door (35 inches h x 16 inches w)
- Adult Dutch door on side (47 inches h x 24 inches w)
06 of 10
Daniels Wood Land Original Outdoor Wood Tree Playhouse
What: Imaginative treehouses and playsets
Brand: Daniel's Wood Land
OK. So, if they ask you to have a forklift ready for when the playhouse arrives, it isn't exactly a sweat-equity, get down and get dirty DIY project.
But Daniels Wood Land playhouses are really cool, featuring highly imaginative designs. And they aren't inexpensive.
The Original, pictured, is one of the more modest models. Among its attributes:
Continue to 7 of 10 below.
- An old, hollowed-out log to climb up
- A trap door
- Six crooked windows
- Shing...led roof
- Log porch
- Log door
- Clubhouse floor measures 4 feet x 5 feet
07 of 10
What: Winchester playhouse with swingset
Continue to 8 of 10 below.
- Comes in three easy-to-assemble play decks totaling 32 square feet
- Assembled dimensions: 9 feet w x 13 feet l x 10 feet h
- All premium precut lumber and poly-coated uprights included
- Bracket system designed to save time with assembly
- Can be assembled in one day or less
08 of 10
Pennfield Cottage Playhouse
What: A playhouse with with a Dutch door and a front porch.
Brand: Little Cottage Co.
This detailed playhouse by the Little Cottage Co. looks like one of those idyllic houses you'd see in a movie, only on a smaller scale. The standard kit includes a front porch with balustrade, railing and dormer windows. Panelized walls sections (not just precut) saves time in assembly. All other parts are precut and ready to assemble.
Continue to 9 of 10 below.
- Wood wall framing.
- Wood trusses.
- 12 feet w x 11 feet d x 8 feet h
- Two... working windows (14 x 21 inches) with safety-glass grids and screens
- Shutters and flower boxes
- Child-sized Dutch door
- Adult Dutch door on side
- Hardware needed to assemble (screws, latches, handles, nails)
- Outside corner trim (white aluminum)
- Primed siding and trim
- Floor kit included
09 of 10
What: A child-sized replica of a beautiful mansion
Brand: Little Cottage
Continue to 10 of 10 below.
- Safe, durable LP Smart Side construction
- House dimensions: approximately 16 x 10 x 10 feet
- Parts are pre-cut and panelized for easy assembly
- Includes 22 working windows and 10 flowerboxes
10 of 10
Step2 Neat and Tidy II Playhouse
What: A toddler-sized playhouse
- Open design allows children to be visible while playing
- Exterior features a pass-through mailbox, realistic doorbell and a molded-in flower box, which can be planted with real or faux flowers (not included)
- Dutch door and window shutters
- Interior includes kitchen seat, fireplace, wall clock, play phone, built-in shelves, kitchen table, faucet and built-in floor with drain holes