Are you looking for a recommendation for the best vegan cheese? You will see a variety of opinions, and these will change as new producers bring their products to the marketplace.
Vegan Gourmet Cheese - Soy Cheese from Follow Your Heart
My top recommendation is the Vegan Gourmet brand of vegan cheese from Follow Your Heart. These are soy-based cheeses. They contain no whey, casein, rennet, or other animal products.
Many soy-based cheese substitutes still contain a bit of milk in them. Vegan Gourmet cheese is also gluten-free.
The texture of Vegan Gourmet cheese is somewhat softer than that of a dairy cheese, but it tastes great and melts better than other vegan cheeses. This completely vegan brand is the best there is for vegetarian pizzas, sauces, and anything for which you need a melty cheese. Although it comes in four different flavors, my favorite is the nacho flavor.
Their original flavors are Mozzarella, Cheddar, Nacho, and Monterey Jack. They also sell shredded cheese in Mozzarella, Cheddar, and Fiesta Blend. They are made with over 70 percent organic ingredients.
Soy-Free Cheese from Follow Your Heart
But what if you would prefer to avoid soy? Follow Your Heart also produces soy-free, non-GMO blocks of cheese and cheese slices that are vegan and casein-free like the originals. They are made with coconut oil, modified food starch, and potato starch as a base.
The flavors include Pepper Jack, Smoked Gouda, Provolone, Garden Herb, Mozzarella, and American, plus grated Parmesan.
See the Follow Your Heart Vegan Gourmet Cheese website for more information on their products.
The world of vegan cheese is evolving, and one exciting variation is vegan cheese made from nuts.
Some artisans are using live cultures to create cheese from nuts, just as it is produced from milk. You'll see nut cheese made from almonds, cashews, macadamia nuts, and more.
Recipes Using Vegan Cheese or Soy Cheese
- Black Bean Enchiladas: You don't have to have shredded cheese on top of an enchilada, but if you'd miss it, go with the Vegan Gourmet or Follow Your Heart shreds.
- Vegan Quiche with Soy Cheese: You can make a tofu quiche without vegan cheese, but this dish includes cheese as well as mushrooms and onions. Enjoy a brunch in style along with a green salad or fresh fruit.
- Cheesy Vegan Garlic Bread: This recipe from Follow Your Heart uses their Vegenaise vegan mayonnaise, nacho vegan cheese, onions, and garlic. You can enjoy it at your next barbecue or cookout or served with pasta.
- Personal Pizzas for Kids: Here's a fun way to involve the kids in making lunch or quick dinner. Top English muffins with pizza sauce and vegan cheese, plus vegetables. Think of bell pepper, onion, olives, mushroom, pineapple, mock pepperoni, or vegan sausage. Then toast them under the broiler.
- Vegetarian Fajitas: Roll up a tortilla with delicious grilled vegetables and add some shredded vegan cheese.