If someone from the Mid-South says she just got back from The Big One, she's talking about the Memphis Flea Market. Each month at this Memphis traditional event, approximately 400 vendors fill more than 70,000 square feet of indoor exhibition space with their wares.
7777 Walnut Grove Road
Memphis, Tennessee 38120
- Third Saturday and Sunday of the month, except February
- Fourth weekend of February
- Christmas show held the first weekend of December, in addition to the regular third-weekend event
- Opens rain or shine
- Saturdays 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Sundays 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- $3 admission
- Free admission for children 12 and under
- Ample free parking
- Service animals only
- Jewelry, purses, and clothing
- Rugs, housewares, and home accessories
- Movies, music, and electronics
- Candles and perfume oils
- Cosmetics and toiletries
- Sports logo merchandise
- Pet and garden supplies
Memphis Flea Market Shopping Tips:
- Your admission ticket is good for the entire day. Save it and come back later if you’ve passed on something. The dealers are more likely to negotiate at the end of the day when it’s time to pack.
- On Sundays, some of the dealers start packing mid-afternoon, but they can't move out until the flea market ends. That's usually a great time to haggle.
- Most of the antique and vintage dealers jumped ship when the flea market moved from its longtime fairgrounds location.
- Concessions are available. The funnel cakes, fresh-made fudge, etc. are similar to the offerings you'll find at a old-fashioned carnival.
- From May through October, shop the Memphis Flea Market on Saturdays so you can visit the Agricenter International Farmer's Market (at the same location) before you go.
Selling at The Big One: Memphis Flea Market
- Booth spaces must be reserved in advance. Organizers start selling for the next month of the Friday of the current month's flea market.
- Set up takes place from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. on the Friday before the Saturday morning event.
- Space rental costs range from $103 to $108.
- Sellers must have a Tennessee Sales Tax Permit and a business license from Shelby County. You can purchase both in the Memphis Flea Market's business office.
- Counterfeit merchandise is prohibited.
- Custom Embroidery: The vendor will monogram your items while you shop the rest of the flea market. Her machine can’t handle pillowcases unless you open the seams, but any single-layer fabric is fine. Bring napkins, sheets, or fabric you plan to use for throw pillows, bed-coverings, or seat-backs.
- Handmade Glass Jewelry: The pendants and rings are bold and bright, and selling for a lot less than at local festivals and craft fairs. The pendants are perfect for chandeliers and sconces, and the rings are sturdy enough to support unlined café curtains on a thin rod.