This lean, delicious tilapia is a snap to prepare and bake. The fish takes just minutes to fix and cook. The fillets are served with a tasty green onion, lime, cilantro cream sauce. Serve the fish the sauce and hot cooked rice or baked or roasted potatoes. Add steamed vegetables for a perfect family meal.
A serving of fish, according to the American Heart Association, is about the size of a checkbook, or about 3.5 ounces cooked. They recommend two servings of fish a week. As an added bonus, tilapia is not only mild and budget-friendly, it's low in mercury.
- 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 pounds tilapia fillets
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lime zest
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Heat the oven to 375 F (190 C/Gas 5).
- Line a baking pan with foil; spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Brush the tilapia fillets lightly with butter and arrange in the prepared pan. Sprinkle the fillets lightly with salt and pepper.
- Bake the fish for about 20 minutes, or until the tilapia is cooked through and flakes easily with a fork.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a small saucepan over medium heat; sauté the garlic and onion for 1 to 2 minutes. Add the heavy cream and bring to a simmer. Simmer for about 3 to 4 minutes to reduce slightly. Stir in the fresh chopped cilantro, lime juice and zest, and salt and pepper to taste. Simmer for about 1 minute longer.
- Drizzle some of the sauce over each serving of fish.
Tips and Variations
- If you aren't a fan of cilantro, use chopped fresh parsley in the recipe.
You Might Also Like