01 of 08
Materials & Cutting Directions
- Pattern in PDF format. (You will need Acrobat Reader)
- 1/2 yard of 45" wide fabric
- 1 package of single fold bias tape
- All-purpose thread to match
- Cord or 1/8" elastic (optional)
Continue to 2 of 8 below.
- Cut six of the pattern piece
- Cut one 45" wide by 4 1/2" strip.
02 of 08
The Hat Seams
Continue to 3 of 8 below.
- Using two sections, place the right sides together, aligning the edges.
- Stitch a 1/4" seam on one curved edge.
- Press seam open.
- Center the bias tape over the seam allowance.
- Top stitch the bias tape in place on both edges.
- Repeat to obtain two section made up of three pieces.
03 of 08
Joining the Hat Sections
Continue to 4 of 8 below.
- Place the two pieces with right sides together and match the seams. Sew the curved edge. Press open.
04 of 08
Complete the Cap Section
Continue to 5 of 8 below.
- Repeat the bias covering for the seam allowance.
05 of 08
Prepare the Ruffle Brim
Continue to 6 of 8 below.
- Remove selvage edge from ends of strip.
- With right sides together, join the short ends using a 1/4" seam allowance, to create a continuous strip.
- Fold the strip lengthwise with wrong sides together. Press.
- Fold the strip in half and then in thirds to create 6 equal sections. Mark the folds.
- Sew a basting line of stitches in the seam allowance of the raw edge, through both layers to use for gathering the strip.
06 of 08
Attaching the Brim & Tie
Continue to 7 of 8 below.
- On the right side of the cap section, match the marks on the ruffle section to the seams of the cap section.
- Pull the basting thread to gather the ruffle.
- Sew the ruffle to the cap section.
- Attach elastic or folded and sewn bias tape to the side ruffle seams as shown in photo.
07 of 08
Bias Tape To Cover Ruffle Seam
Continue to 8 of 8 below.
- Open the folded edge of the bias tape and place it on the ruffle with the open side of the bias up. Align the fold of the bias to the seam on the edge of the ruffle.
- Sew the bias to the hat.
08 of 08
- Press the bias to the inside of the hat.
- Top stitch the bias tape to the cap of the hat.