This simple tofu scramble might not win any recipe awards, but it's quick, easy, hot, and it gets the job done. What makes this such a great quick and easy basic tofu scramble recipe for when vegetarians and vegans are in a hurry? It relies on salsa for seasoning and flavor, which means you don't have to spend even a single minute chopping onions, garlic, or bell peppers (though you certainly could add those in, if you'd like). Nor do you have to spend a few minutes waiting for onions and garlic or other veggies to cook. All you have to do is toss in your tofu, open a jar of salsa and get a bit of salt, pepper and nutritional yeast ready to go.
Eat your quick tofu scramble on the run by wrapping it up in a flour tortilla to make a vegetarian breakfast burrito. You can add a bit of cheese or vegan cheese or some extra salsa or sour cream, of course, or, just sit down and devour it with a fork. Either way, enjoy!
See also: More vegetarian tofu scramble recipes
- 2-3 tsp oil for cooking onion and tofu
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 2/3 cup vegetable salsa
- 1 block firm or extra firm tofu, drained and chopped into one-inch cubes
- 1/3 tsp turmeric (optional, but adds a nice yellow color)
- 2 tsp nutritional yeast (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- First, if you have a few extra minutes, prepare your tofu. Like most vegan tofu recipes, this one will taste best if you press the tofu first, though if you are short on time, just skip this step. Pressing the tofu allows it to absorb more of the delicious flavorings and seasonings which you add to it. Not sure how to press your tofu? See this easy step-by-step guide: How to press tofu.
- Once your tofu is ready to go, in a large skillet or frying pan, sautee the onion in a few teaspoons of oil for 2-3 minutes until just barely soft. Add tofu and allow to cook, stirring frequently and adding more oil as needed.
- Add the turmeric and the nutritional yeast, and stir until the tofu is well coated. Add salsa and cook for another minute or two, stirring frequently just until salsa is hot and well combined with the tofu. Season generously with salt and pepper.
This is a very simple recipe for tofu scramble. You may add in any of your favorite fresh vegetables (I like bell pepper and mushrooms in tofu scramble), or, wrap in a flour tortilla for a vegetarian and vegan breakfast burrito!
Like this recipe?
Loving this vegetarian and vegan tofu recipe? Here are some more incredible things you can do with tofu: