Bok choy is one of the most popular vegetables in Chinese cuisine. Chinese people have a long history of using this delicious, crunchy, sweet and refreshing vegetable in their food.
Bok choy is actually a type of Chinese “cabbage” but it doesn’t look like a typical cabbage at all and it doesn’t taste like one either.
Bok Choy's popularity comes from its light, sweet flour, crispy and crunchy texture and also because of it’s nutritional values.
Bok choy can be stir-fried, steamed or added to soup.
Here are some of the health benefits of bok choy:
- Bok Choy is a very “low” calorie leafy vegetable.
- Bok Choy contained some very valuable anti-oxidant chemicals and is high in dietary fiber and vitamins so it’s essentially a superfood that can protect your body from breast, colon and prostate cancers and help reduce LDL (the famous bad cholesterol) levels in your blood.
- Bok Choy contains lutein and zeaxanthin, which are also antioxidants that can protect your eyes and reduce the risk of age-related macular degeneration.
- Bok Choy is a very good source of Vitamin K. Vitamin K is well known for helping with blood clotting and helping your body to maintain strong bones and teeth.
- The nutrition contained in Bok choy is also another brilliant way to help you to cut down the risk of heart disease.
Below are top 7 bok choy recipes from our Chinese food site that I hope you can try and will like.
Edited by Liv Wan.
The trick is to have all the ingredients on hand, and to stir-fry quickly so that the garlic doesn’t burn (adding water or chicken broth helps also). This easy bok choy recipe is a perfect dish for busy weeknights.
Serve 3-4 people
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Baby bok choy is popular because it has a more delicate flavor than adult varieties. In this recipe, it is paired with fresh ginger and seasonings. Feel free to stir-fry the baby bok choy in olive oil. Low-sodium chicken broth can be used in place of water.
Marinated shrimp are combined with Chinese greens (bok choy) and mushrooms in this simple stir-fry that shows off the natural flavor of the shrimp and vegetables. This makes a complete meal for two when served with rice, or part of a multicourse meal for three or more.
Traditionally this Shanghai casserole dish featuring oversized pork meatballs and greens is made with pork fat and cooked in a sand clay pot. The large meatballs are meant to represent a lion and the shredded greens it’ main.
* Authentic lion head meatballs recipe by Liv Wan
This easy Chinese recipe allows you to get all the nutritional benefits of bok choy in a simple, flavourful soup. Feel free to increase the nutritional value by using homemade chicken broth, or adding cooked chicken or shrimp.
Delicious and authentic Chinese cooked rice with boo chop and gammon recipe.