01 of 05
3 Dips From the Best Dips & Apps Ever
Dips are a host's best friend - crowd-pleasing, simple and able to be made ahead of time. Here are 3 great dip recipes to rescue you from your usual cooking routine, courtesy of Best Dips & Apps Ever by Monica Sweeney! These dips make for simple yet very impressive appetizers that you can serve at parties and gatherings no matter the season. (Game Day! Awards Night! Potluck Party!)Continue to 2 of 5 below.
02 of 05
Baked Fontina Cheese Dip
Not quite a fondue, this savory cheese dip is equally rich in flavor and best when piping hot. The rosemary and garlic enhance the great blend of Parmesan and Fontina and taste incredible on a toasted baguette or with fresh vegetables.
- 1 1/2 pounds Fontina cheese
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- Pinch of salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the... broiler on high.
- Arrange the cheese in a 12-inch cast-iron pan and drizzle with olive oil. Combine the garlic, thyme, rosemary, and basil and sprinkle evenly over the cheese.
- Broil for 5 to 6 minutes or until the cheese is bubbling. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately with sliced baguette or vegetables.
Yield: 4–6 servingsContinue to 3 of 5 below.
03 of 05
Not your typical guacamole, this avocado dip is smooth like a veggie dip, but with the cool flavor of avocado. The best part about this dip is that it can be complemented by pita bread and fresh vegetables, but it can also be used as a refreshing spread for sandwiches and burgers.
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tablespoons fresh tarragon
- 1/4 cup lemon zest
- 2 large avocados
- 1/2 cup plain sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Mince garlic and tarragon in a food processor. Scrape the mixture down and add... remaining ingredients. Pulse until smooth.
Yield: 1 cupContinue to 4 of 5 below.
04 of 05
Cheesy Garlic Artichoke Dip
This hot and tasty dip is packed with delicious garlic flavor and just the right amount of artichokes to add taste and texture. Served with pita bread, chips, or raw vegetables, this dip ranks high on the list of best comfort foods.
- 1 head garlic
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 12-ounce jar artichoke hearts, drained
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream or yogurt
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup green onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheese
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Slice off the top of a head of garlic, exposing the cloves inside. Place in foil and drizzle the olive oil over the garlic. Close the top of the foil over the head of garlic and place on a baking sheet. Cook for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool.
- Peel the outside skin of the garlic and remove the cloves. Reduce the oven temperature to 350°F.
- In a bowl, crush the garlic cloves into a paste. Chop the artichoke hearts into small chunks. In a large bowl, mix all ingredients together, reserving 1/2 cup of shredded cheese. Scoop the mixture into a baking dish and sprinkle the top with the remaining cheese.
- Bake for 35 minutes, broiling in the last 3 to 5 minutes to brown the top.
Yield: 3 cupsContinue to 5 of 5 below.
05 of 05
More Dips and Apps