01 of 10
Carp is one of Eastern Europe's most prized freshwater fish. In the United States, it has never enjoyed the popularity it experiences from Bulgaria to Ukraine, probably because the American variety doesn't match the flavor or quality of its European cousin, where it is prepared in myriad ways -- fried, roasted, grilled and broiled. Carp takes a place of honor on the traditional Christmas Eve table of many countries, including the Polish wigilia. When carp is mixed with other white fish,... it becomes gefilte fish, a favorite in Jewish cuisine.Continue to 2 of 10 below.
02 of 10
Trout is another of Eastern Europe's most popular freshwater fish that is prepared differently according to region and whim.
Continue to 3 of 10 below.
- Polish Baked Trout with Garlic Butter Recipe - Swiezy Pstrag w Maslem Czonsnkowy
- Polish Fried Trout Recipe - Pstragi Sauté
- Lemon-Butter Trout over Sautéed Spinach Recipe
03 of 10
Salmon and Other Saltwater Fish Recipes
Salmon are found in Eastern Europe's saltwater oceans and in the many freshwater rivers where they spawn.
Continue to 4 of 10 below.
- Easy Grilled Salmon with Pomegranate Vinaigrette Recipe
- Czech Baked Salmon Recipe -
- Polish Crab-Stuffed Salmon Pinwheels Recipe - Zrazy Losos i Krab
- Polish Foil-Baked Salmon Recipe - Caly Losos Pieczony
- Eastern European Panko-Crusted Roasted Salmon Recipe
- Fresh Salmon Patties Recipe
- Panko-Crusted Roasted Salmon Recipe
04 of 10
Cod and Other White-Fleshed Fish Recipes
Cod, pike, and perch are all popular freshwater fish found throughout Eastern Europe.
Continue to 5 of 10 below.
- Serbian-Croatian Salt Cod with Potatoes Recipe - Bakalar s Krumpirom
- Easy Poached Fish in Shrimp Sauce Recipe
- Polish Fillet of Cod Stuffed with Mushrooms Recipe
- Black Cod or Sablefish with Chickpea and Parsley Purées
- Czech Beer-Battered Cod Recipe -
- Quick and Zesty Lemon Garlic Tilapia Recipe
- Polish Fish in the Greek Style Recipe - Ryba Po Grecku
- Polish Fried Pike Perch Recipe -
05 of 10
Herring are small saltwater fish that are served fresh, pickled, dried and smoked throughout Eastern Europe. They're considered lucky and occupy a place of honor at the Christmas Eve and New Year's tables.Continue to 6 of 10 below.
06 of 10
Fish Roe or Caviar Recipes
Fish roe or caviar from sturgeon are the most highly prized. Like salmon, sturgeon are saltwater fish that spawn in freshwater rivers. But as sturgeon is becoming overfished, caviar from salmon, cod and other fish is becoming increasingly common, and are a tasty alternative.Continue to 7 of 10 below.
07 of 10
Shrimp and Other Shellfish Recipes
Shrimp can be divided into warm water and coldwater shrimp. While this delectable crustacean is available throughout Eastern Europe these days, they really shine in Croatia on the Dalmatian Coast.Continue to 8 of 10 below.
08 of 10
Squid is a mollusk that currently can be found throughout Eastern Europe due to improved food transportation but, like shrimp and oysters, they really shine in Croatia along the Dalmatian Coast.
Continue to 9 of 10 below.
- Klara's Croatian Squid Salad Recipe -
09 of 10
Oyster and Mussel Recipes
Like shrimp and squid, oysters and mussels were virtually unknown in the landlocked countries of Eastern Europe until recent times when food transportation, refrigeration, and canning allowed them to be shipped throughout the region. The Dalmatian Coast of Croatia has a lively mussel and oyster business, although the oysters are smaller than those in the United States. Croatian oystermen brought their skills to New Orleans and other parts of Louisiana in the early 19th century and created a... thriving industry with world-renowned oysters.Continue to 10 of 10 below.
10 of 10
Smoked Fish Recipes
Eastern Europeans love smoked fish. It's a product that once started out as a means to an end -- a way to preserve fish to be consumed during the winter -- turned into a love affair. Sable, also known as black cod, chubs, also known as ciscoes or ciscos, sturgeon, salmon, rainbow trout and shrimp become something entirely different when smoked. The skin turns golden or silvery and the natural oils and juices the smoking process brings to the fore make the flesh moist and succulent. They are... delicious eaten as is or in some of these recipes I created with product from Calumet Fisheries. Calumet Fisheries on the far East Side of Chicago is one of the lone holdouts of this dying art. Fish smokehouses, especially in the Great Lakes region, once a dime a dozen in the early part of the 20th century, are now fast becoming a thing of the past. Get your smoked fish while you can.
- Smoked Trout Crostini Recipe
- Smoked Fish Chowder Recipe
- Smoked Salmon with Noodles Recipe
- Smoked Salmon and Noodle Salad Recipe