Backyards and outdoor rooms increasingly are becoming areas of additional functional living space for activities like cooking, relaxing and entertaining. A pergola can define or extend outdoor space by establishing boundaries, walls, and putting a roof over it all. Often used interchangeably with the words gazebo and cabana, a pergola is basically an outdoor shelter or structure with columns or posts and an open roof.
The word originates from the Italian word of the same name from the mid-1600s, meaning a latticework structure for climbing plants, and from the Latin word pergula, which means something that projects or overhangs. It can be attached to a building—in this case, a house--or freestanding, and was originally intended to support and train vines, which would climb up the columns and up and over the open beams of the roof, creating more shade and a green roof.
01 of 06
What: Cedar pergola by Backyard Discovery
Size: Arbor top is 12 feet wide x 10 feet deep; post-to-post inside is 7 feet, 10 inches high.
- Sturdy 5½ cedar upright posts with diagonal braces make a strong structure
- Decorative foot covers hide anchors that keep the pergola firmly secured to the ground or patio
- Pre-stained and ready to assemble
02 of 06
What: Valencia pergola from Paragon Outdoor
Size: 11 x 11 feet
- Frame is constructed of Chilean ipe
- Features a retractable canopy
- Powder-coated aluminum which is rust and maintenance free
- Includes ground stakes and bolts to affix pergola to a deck or concrete foundation
03 of 06
New England Arbors Pergola
What: Regency Grande by New England Arbors
Size: 12 x 24 feet
- Features columns and slats that look like wood but are made of vinyl
- Weather resistant and easy to maintain
- Classic white finish with molded columns and scroll-worked edges
04 of 06
What: Coolaroo Constantine Pergola
Size: 9 x 9 feet
Continue to 5 of 6 below.
- Provides 90 percent UV block from the sun's harsh rays
- Can lower temperature by 32 degrees
- Mocha colored
- Weather-resistant fabric that will not fade, crack or rot
- Easy to clean and maintain
- Lightweight, sturdy, powder-coated aluminum frame
05 of 06
Yardistry Arched Roof Pergola
What: Yardistry Pergola Room with Snap-On Sunshade
Size: 12 feet long x 12 feet wide x 9½ feet high or 12 feet long x 14 feet wide x 9½ feet high.
- Made of 100 percent pre-stained cedar (Cunninghamia lanceolata), which will withstand elements and insects
- Pre-cut and pre-drilled lumber
- Contemporary design adds stylish look to any setting
- Easy-to-follow step-by-step instructions ensure quick assembly
- Product comes as a ready to assemble kit with all wood pre-cut and includes all hardware and metal components
06 of 06
Pergola with Swing Set
What: All Things Cedar pergola with swing
Size: 84 inches wide, 72 inches deep and 75 inches high.
- Made of Western red cedar
- Features preassembled panels
- Sanded finish
- Chain and hanging bolts included