The pork pie is something of a British institution; we love them. A traditional pie is a good handful of pastry (for a regular pie this would he a hot water crust*) and pork often with a jelly within. The pies are eaten hot or cold, with or without accompaniments (usually pickles, or chutney).
This mini Pork Pie Recipe from Angela Boggiano's book Pie is a perfect hand pie and is great for picnics, in a lunch box and even on the buffet table at parties. It does not have jelly and is made with shortcrust pastry as it does not need to be as strong. So, they are slightly different but still as good to eat.
- 1 bunch scallions (finely chopped)
- 1 pinch chili flakes
- 8 ounces/225 grams pork loin (finely chopped)
- 3 1/2 ounces/100 grams Pancetta (finely chopped)
- 1 bunch chives (snipped)
- 1 bunch parsley (finely chopped)
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- 10 ounces/300 grams shortcrust pastry
- 12 quail eggs (soft boiled and peeled)
- 1 egg (beaten for glaze)
- Heat the oven to 400F/200C/Gas 6
- For the filling mix all the the ingredients except the quail's eggs in a large bowl, seasoning well to taste.
- Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface and cut 12 x 4"/9cm rounds to fit a 12-hole muffin tin, and 12 x 3"/7cm rounds for the lids.
- Carefully press the larger rounds into the holes of the muffin tin. Half fill each with the pork filling, top with a soft-boiled quail's egg then add another layer of filling.
- Brush the edges of each pie with a little egg and then place a lid on top, pressing the edges together to seal.
- Make a hole in the top of each pie, brush the tops with egg to glaze and bake for 20 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 325F/160C/Gas 3 and cook for a further 25-30 minutes until the pastry is golden and the filling is cooked through.
- Leave to cool in the tin for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
Hot Water Crust Pastry
*Traditional pork pies are made with hot water pastry which is a stronger pastry and capable of holding a hefty, meat filling. The pastry is also delicious. This recipe can me made using the hot water method, though it does require more work and slightly more difficult technique.
*** You will need to make 1½ times the quantity in the Shortcrust Pastry Recipe