Single portion desserts prepared in a mug and cooked quickly in the microwave have become quite popular. The chocolate brownie version is the most common, and for a good reason - the brownie needs just a few ingredients that mix up in seconds and emerge from the microwave as a hot, gooey, and slightly undercooked cake, just begging for a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
But there's no need to limit yourself to chocolate. What if you suddenly get a craving for tres leches cake, but don't have time to prepare the traditional version, or you can't share it with 6 or 8 people? What if you want tres leches right this minute? No problem. You can quickly make you an individual serving, with just a mug, a microwave, and a few key ingredients.
Although normally chilled, this quick version of Tres Leches is best when it's still a bit warm, which is just as well because in this situation you don't want to wait for it to chill. Enjoy it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or with vanilla ice cream and some cold whipped cream.
- Whisk the 2 tablespoons of whipping cream together with the condensed milk and set aside.
- Add the all-purpose flour, sugar, salt, baking soda, and baking powder to a 12-ounce mug. Whisk the dry ingredients together.
- Add the buttermilk, vegetable oil, and vanilla to the mug and mix them into the dry ingredients until everything is well mixed. (You can also mix the ingredients together in a separate bowl, and then add the cake batter to the mug - slightly less messy, but you end up with an extra bowl to wash).
- Place the mug in the microwave and cook for 45-90 seconds (depending on the strength of the microwave), or just until the cake is puffy and just springs back gently to the touch. Do not overcook.
- Remove the cake from the microwave and let cool for 3-4 minutes. Pierce cake with a wooden skewer in multiple places, then pour the condensed milk/whipping cream mixture over the cake. Top cake with whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream, sprinkle with cinnamon and enjoy immediately.
- The cake will keep in a refrigerator for 2-3 days but is best enjoyed warm.