Did you know that TRICARE offers health insurance for eligible members of the Reserve and Guard? The following material will give you an overview of the plan known as TRICARE Reserve Select.
What is TRICARE Reserve Select?
TRICARE Reserve Select is a premium based, cost-sharing health plan for members of the Selected Reserves (and their dependents) who meet certain eligibility requirements.
What are the eligibility requirements?
In order to be eligible for TRICARE Reserve Select, servicemembers in the Selected Reserves of the Ready Reserves must meet the following criteria:
- Not be on active duty orders.
- Not be covered under the Transitional Assistance Management Program (TAMP).
- Not eligible for or enrolled in the Federal Employee Health Benefits (FEHB) program.
Can members of the IRR enroll in this health plan?
No. This particular health plan is only available to members of the Selected Reserves who meet the above mentioned criteria.
Does TRICARE Reserve Select meet the requirements for the Minimum Essential Coverage under the Affordable Care Act (ObamaCare)?
How much do the premiums cost?
The following premium are for calendar year 2016:
- Member only: $47.90 per month
- Member and family: $210.83 per month
When you first enroll, you can make your payment (for two months) by check, money order, or credit/debit card. After that, payments will have to be made automatically by EFT (withdrawal you’re your checking or savings account) or credit/debit. Make absolutely sure to pay your premiums each month.
If you’re late or miss a payment, you’ll be dropped from the plan and will have to wait a full year before you can re-enroll.
Is there a deductible we must meet if we enroll in this plan?
Yes, there is an annual outpatient deductible that must be met before enrollees are eligible to participate in the cost-sharing portion of the program.
TRICARE's fiscal year is October 1 – September 30, which means that you must meet the annual deductible sometime during this timeframe.
How much is the annual deductible?
For the current fiscal year (October 1 – September 30), annual deductibles are:
- Sponsor Rank E-4 and below: $50 per individual (If only the servicemember is covered) or $100 per family
- Sponsor Rank E-5 and above: $150 per individual (If only the servicemember is covered), but no more than $300 per family
What type of services does the TRICARE Reserve Select cover?
This plan covers you anytime you’re not on active duty for more than 30 consecutive days. The plan covers a wide variety of services, including:
- Outpatient visits
- Emergency Care
- Maternity Care
- Wellness Exams
- Mental and/or Behavioral Health Services
- Birth Control
- Allergy Testing and Treatments
To learn more, visit the TRICARE website.
How do we enroll in TRICARE Reserve Select?
Enrollment is done online only. To do so, you’ll have to complete the DMDC Reserve Component Purchased TRICARE Application.
Please note that in order to access the DMDC Reserve Component Purchased TRICARE Application you must have one of the following: a Common Access Card (CAC), a myPay account, or a DS Logon Premium (Level 2) account.
Additional Information about TRICARE Reserve Select
You’ll find a lot more information about this plan on TRICARE’s website. For example, see:
- Comprehensive Overview of TRICARE Reserve Select
- Information about Monthly Premiums
- Purchasing TRICARE Reserve Select
Contact Information for the TRICARE Regions
Learn about the payment options in your region:
- North Region Payment Options
- South Region Payment Options
- West Region Payment Options
- Overseas Region Payment Options
Updated by Armin Brott, January 2016