The Whirlpool brand, a leader in laundry appliance sales in the United States, includes a popular line of washers and dryers named Cabrio. As with any laundry appliance, there can be problems and a need for repairs.
When your Cabrio dryer stops working, Whirlpool offers troubleshooting tips online along with other product information. Or, you can call a technician or try your hand at repairing it yourself.
Clothes dryers are simple machines and most problems are easy to diagnose and can be repaired with just a few tools and some easy instructions.
Remove Stains from Cabrio Dryer Drum
Problem: Stains on the dryer drum can come from clothes that have bled dye or something left in a pocket like a crayon that melts or a pen that leaks ink. These spots are not only unsightly, they can leave stains on fabrics so it's important to get rid of them as soon as possible.
- Always start with a completely empty and cold dryer. Removing warm wax or ink will only cause it to smear larger. A cold dryer will also help any cleaning fumes from being too intense.
- A bit of elbow grease and a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser will usually take care of the problem. Use the eraser to clean each area of the drum. You'll need to rinse it out frequently in clear water and just keep moving all the way around the drum. When all the stains are gone, wipe down the interior with a soft white cloth dipped in clear water.
- You can use chlorine bleach to remove any traces of dye that remain but you must be careful. Mix one cup of bleach per gallon of water. Wearing protective gloves, wipe down the interior of the drum with a soft sponge dipped in the bleach solution. When the stains are gone, the entire drum must be rinsed by wiping it down with a cloth dipped in clear water. Then dry a load of wet old rags or white towels to be sure that all of the bleach is gone.
Cabrio Dryer Displays AF Code and Takes Too Long to Dry Clothes
Problem: The AF code appears when the dryer is started, clothes are taking too long to dry, and there is excessive lint inside the dryer drum.
- The AF code on a Cabrio Dryer is signaling that the machine does not have proper airflow. Dryers need to be able to pull in fresh air and expel humidity to be able to dry fabrics. The excessive lint inside the drum shows that the lint is not being drawn into your dryer filter because of the poor circulation of air.
- Unobstructed airflow is not only essential to remove the excess moisture in clothes; it is also important because blocked vents can cause dryer fires. Clean out the vent between the dryer and the wall, as well as, the ductwork to the outside exhaust vent.
- If you have an older soft dryer vent hose, consider replacing it with a rigid dryer vent system. It is worth the time and cost for your family's safety and your electricity costs.
Cabrio Start/Pause Button Not Working Correctly
Problem: Start/Pause sensor button on display panel does not work correctly.
- Before calling a repair technician or starting a repair on any electrical component, run a diagnostic test to help determine the real issue.
- Place the dryer is in Standby mode (plugged-in with all indicators off). Select any three buttons (except POWER) and follow the steps below, using the same buttons. Remember the buttons and the order that the buttons were pressed. Within eight seconds:
- Press and Release the first selected button
- Press and Release the second selected button
- Press and Release the third selected button
- Repeat this three button sequence two more times
- If the key sequence was entered successfully, all indicators on the console are illuminated for five seconds with "88" showing in the estimated time remaining display. If there are no saved fault codes, all indicators on the console will momentarily turn off, and then only the seven segment display will come back on and display "88".
- You can then use the fault code(s) shown to determine what is wrong. If you need a user or repair manual, you can find it here and replacement parts online.
- Unfortunately, if one electrical component goes bad, the entire motherboard may need to be replaced.