Whirlpool is a leading manufacturer of washers and dryers around the world including the Cabrio and the Duet models of washer and dryers. The Duet models are a popular line; however, as with any home appliance, there can be Duet washer and dryer problems and a need for repairs.
When your high-efficiency front-loading washing machine Duet washer or dryer stops working, many issues are simple to diagnose and can be repaired with just a few tools and some easy instructions. Whirlpool offers troubleshooting tips online along with other product information like user guides. Take a look at these common problems. Then, you can decide whether to call a technician and pay for a repair call and parts or try your hand at repairing the problem yourself.
Water Standing in Whirlpool Duet Washer
Problem: Water accumulates in the bottom of the Duet Washer drum between loads of laundry.
- Since the water is appearing after the washer has successfully completed a cycle, the problem could be with the washer or with the drainage lines.
- If the standing water is clear and clean, it is probably accumulating due to a failed inlet valve on the washer. Turn off the hot and cold water sources completely (or disconnect the hoses) after doing a load of laundry and wait a few hours to see if the problem happens. If no water accumulates, then the problem is being caused by the inlet valve leaking water and a valve repair or replacement is needed. If you need a user or repair manual, you can find it here and replacement parts here.
- If some water does appear in the drum with the water sources turned off and it is soapy, then it is a drainage (plumbing) problem. What you are seeing is drain water backing up into your washer from the drainage system. Be sure the washer's drain hose is not inserted too far down the standpipe. It should only be inserted about six to eight inches. A severe clog in the drainage line could also cause a back-up of drainage water that seeps back into the washer.
- When the repair is complete, be sure to give your washer a good cleaning to help prevent the growth of mold that can cause odor issues.
Whirlpool Duet Washer Door Will Not Lock
Problem: The door latch only works intermittently.
- If the door won't lock, the washer won't run. First, try giving it a good cleaning. Use a cotton swab dipped in rubbing alcohol to clean the latch and any contact points. This will remove the lint, dirt, and product build-up that may be interfering with the electrical circuit.
- The lock/lock motor is easy to replace if you are handy with repairs. These locks have a wax motor that can wear out with frequent use and misuse. It is much less expensive to replace the door latch yourself than to call a repair technician.
Whirlpool Duet Washer Door Will Not Unlock
Problem: Duet Washer door will not unlock at the end of a complete cycle.
Before you pry off the door and cause extensive damage, follow these steps:
- Unplug the washer or disconnect power.
- Remove the lower kick panel.
- Reach up along the inside of the front and locate the bottom of the door switch/lock unit.
- Located on the bottom of the door switch/lock unit is a tear-drop shaped tab.
- Gently pull the tab down about a 1/4-inch or until a click is heard.
- The door can then be opened.
If the problem happens again, the door lock/latch should be replaced.
Whirlpool Duet Dryer Will Not Start
Problem: Whirlpool Duet Dryer won't start a cycle
- Always check that the dryer is receiving the proper amount of 240v current. Be sure it is plugged in and check for tripped circuits.
- The dryer will not start if the door latch is malfunctioning. It may just need to be cleaned to remove lint and residue so that full contact is achieved or it may need to be replaced. Clean it by dipping a cotton swab in rubbing alcohol and cleaning all the contact points.
- Inspect the thermal fuse. If it is blown (The glass housing will have turned dark in color.), the dryer will not start as a precaution to prevent overheating. Fuses are simple to replace.
- Finally, check the start switch with a voltage meter. If it is not performing properly, it should be replaced. When it is repaired, make sure you are getting the best results from your dryer.