The Bottom Line
The Char-Broil TRU-Infrared represents an innovative approach to an inexpensive all infrared gas grill. This unit uses a simple sheet of perforated stainless steel to convert the output of a standard gas burner into infrared energy. This unit has three burners that put out only 25,500 BTUs under 420 square inches of porcelain-coated cast iron primary cooking space but can still reach high and even temperatures.
You also get the standard side burner. but at 13,000 BTU output, it is powerful. Unfortunately, this gas grill is constructed from low quality and thin stainless steel limiting its durability.
- Highly efficient heat output
- Powerful side burner
- Low quality 430 stainless steel and painted steel construction
- Low-quality stainless steel burners
- "Infrared" cooking system can be problematic and requires maintenance
- Three 8.500 BTU 400 series stainless steel tubular burners under "infrared" diffusers
- 420 square inches of primary cooking area for a total of 575 square inches of grilling space
- 25,500 BTU maximum output from the main burners
- 13,000 BTU standard side burner under a flush mounted cover
- Unique complete "infrared" design for high temperature cooking
- 430 stainless steel and painted steel construction
- Two internal halogen lights
- Electric (AA-battery) igniter
- Porcelain coated cast iron cooking grates
- Total product weight of 147 pounds
- Compatible with Char-Broil's "Dual Fuel" system (you buy the conversion kit ($50USD))
- Manufactured in China by Char-Broil exclusively for Lowes Home Improvement Stores
Guide Review - Char-Broil Commercial Signature TRU-Infrared 3-Burner #463243016
Infrared remains a top priority for Char-Broil and this "TRU-Infrared" Gas Grill, exclusive to Lowes Home Improvement stores, is an improvement over previous models.
The Signature line costs more but has an improvement in construction that makes it a smarter choice. Previous models of this grill (in size and capacity) could be had for around $400USD. This model now runs around $550USD. Heavier and more solidly built, this line of gas grills from Char-Broil represents a relieving movement towards a better product that should last longer and work better.
This three burner gas grill puts out a maximum of 25,500 BTUs under 420 square inches of primary grilling space. It is the efficiency of the infrared design that allows this grill to be comparatively so low in heat output and still be able to generate high temperatures. In good working condition, this grill can put out a high, even heat that is great for searing, while still providing a variety of cooking temperatures that make this a versatile grill. Additionally, you get a 13,000 BTU side burner. This is the standard Char-Broil side unit, and while flimsy it is very functional. There is no rotisserie burner on this unit, but that really isn't necessary. A rotisserie kit is available.
There are two primary problems with this grill. First, this model, like all Commercial Signature Series Char-Broil grills is made from a lower grade (400 series) of stainless steel.
This limits the durability of the grill and will cause it to discolor and rust early. You can't count on this grill lasting.
The other problem with this grill is the "infrared" system. Basically, what makes this grill and infrared grill is a thin sheet or perforated stainless steel (also 400 series). This sheet needs regular "gentle" cleaning according to Char-Broil to keep the holes in it clear. If this sheet gets too dirty the grill will not work properly. You need to be very careful in maintaining this grill to keep it working.
One the plus side, the porcelain coated cast iron cooking grates are superior to the stainless steel sheet metal grates used in the past. These heavier cooking grates hold heat better and conduct that heat to food fast and produced better grill marks and searing.