I used to love the box cake recipe for the tunnel of fudge cake, but all that chocolate got to me after awhile. So, I thought, why not create a really good-tasting yellow cake from scratch with a tunnel of apples in the middle.
I used pie filling that I thickened with flour and a generous amount of cinnamon and coarsely chopped walnuts. It was a hit. I just dust mine with confectioners' sugar, but a simple glaze could be used as well.
If you freeze half of this cake and slice it while frozen, it can be turned into delicious French toast!
Here is a larger photo of Tunnel of Apples Bundt Cake.
- 1 can/1 jar/26 ounces apple pie filling
- 1/2 cup flour (all-purpose)
- 1 cup walnuts (coarsely chopped)
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 cups flour (all-purpose)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 ounces butter (softened)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs (room temperature)
- 2 large egg whites (room temperature)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup milk
Make the Filling
- In a medium bowl, combine 1 (26-ounce) can or jar of apple pie filling, 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, 1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts and 2 teaspoons cinnamon. Set aside.
Make the Cake Batter
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Generously coat a 9-inch Bundt pan with vegetable cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together 2 cups all-purpose flour, 1 teaspoon baking powder and 1 teaspoon baking soda unt6il well combined.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer set on medium speed, beat 4 ounces softened butter and 1/2 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Add room-temperature eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add both room-temperature egg whites and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, and beat well. Set mixer to low and alternately beat in flour mixture with 1/3 cup milk until well incorporated.
- Spoon half of the cake batter into the prepared pan. Then spread all of the tunnel of apples filling on top, spreading evenly. Spoon remainder of cake batter on top, spreading evenly.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until toothpick tests clean (don't go down too far because the tunnel of apples will still be moist).
- Remove cake from oven and cool on a wire rack 20 minutes. Remove from pan and cool completely. The middle will remain moist and that is how it should be. Dust with confectioners' sugar when completely cool and just before serving.