This turkey a la king is an easy recipe with leftover turkey and vegetables. Serve on toast, split baked biscuits, hot cooked rice, or noodles. It's great on puff pastry shells or cornbread wedges as well. As you can see in the picture, I served it on spaghetti squash. It was delicious!
You could also use chicken in the recipe, or add some ham to the turkey or chicken. It's also tasty with cooked frozen peas, cooked mixed vegetables, or artichokes.
See the tips and variations for some extra flavor options and some substitution ideas, including how to make the sauce without the condensed soup.
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 4 to 6 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups half-and-half or milk
- 1 can (10 3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1 jar (2 ounces) pimiento, strips or chopped
- 2 1/2 cups cooked cubed turkey breast
- dash onion powder
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Melt the butter in a saute pan or medium saucepan over medium heat; add green pepper and mushrooms. Saute, stirring, for about 4 to 5 minutes, or until the mushrooms are tender.
- Remove the vegetables to a bowl with slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add flour to butter, cooking and stirring for 1 to 2 minutes. Add half-and-half and cream of mushroom soup, stirring until smooth and thickened.
- Add turkey, pimiento, mushrooms, green pepper, and seasonings. Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Serve over hot cooked rice, biscuits, puff pastry shells, spaghetti squash, cornbread wedges, or noodles.
Tips and Variations
- Slice two green onions (scallions) and saute them along with the mushrooms and green bell pepper.
- Add about 1/4 cup of diced celery to the butter along with the mushrooms and bell pepper.
- Omit the green bell pepper or the mushrooms, if desired.
- Replace the mushrooms with quartered artichoke hearts (canned or frozen cooked).
- Add cooked peas or peas and carrots to the sauce along with the turkey.
- Replace the condensed cream of mushroom soup with cream of chicken, cream of chicken with herbs, or cream of celery soup.
- Not a fan of condensed soup? Add 2 extra tablespoons of butter, 2 extra tablespoons of flour, and one cup of chicken stock. Omit the soup. Taste and adjust the seasonings.
- Replace the pimiento with drained and chopped roasted red peppers or omit them altogether.
You Might Also Like