This turkey supreme is made with easy creamy sauce, and it is a delicious way to use leftover sliced turkey. Serve the sauce and turkey over noodles, rice, or toast points. Add some extra flavor and color with some pimientos or cooked peas or carrots. Or saute a few tablespoons of green onions or shallots in the butter before you add the flour. Sauteed mushrooms would be an excellent addition as well.
This creamy turkey would also be delicious served on toast as open-faced sandwiches or dice the turkey and serve it with the cream sauce over puff pastry shells. You can use chicken in the recipe as well.
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 cup broth (hot chicken broth or turkey broth)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 1 cup half and half
- 12 to 16 ounces turkey meat (sliced or diced cooked turkey breast)
- 7 cups white rice (cooked rice or noodles)
- 1 to 2 tablespoons almonds (toasted,* chopped)
- Melt butter in a saucepan over low heat; add flour, stirring until smooth.
- Pour hot chicken broth into the flour mixture and stir until smooth.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Heat half-and-half in a separate saucepan or in the microwave oven and then add it to the thickened sauce.
- Cook over low heat for 10 minutes, stirring constantly.
Serve the sauce hot over sliced turkey breast and rice or noodles. Sprinkle with toasted chopped almonds if desired.
*To toast nuts, spread out in a single layer on a baking sheet. Toast in a 350 F oven, stirring occasionally, for 10 to 15 minutes. Or, toast in an ungreased skillet over medium heat, stirring, until golden brown and aromatic.