Unlike many pot pies that only feature a dough topper, this chicken pot pie recipe features two flaky crusts encasing a rich and creamy chicken filling. This savory pie is baked in a casserole dish instead of a pie pan.
- Prepared pastry for (9-inch) two-crust pie, homemade or purchased
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 3/4 cups chicken broth
- 2/3 cup half-and-half
- 3 cups chopped, cooked chicken
Prepare the Casserole Dish
- Divide pastry dough into two portions, about 2/3 in one portion and 1/3 in the other portion. Wrap the smaller portion in plastic wrap and set aside.
- Roll out the larger portion and line a shallow 1 1/2-quart baking dish (about 10x6 inches).
Make the Chicken Filling
- Make a roux by melting butter in a medium saucepan, add flour, salt, and pepper and stir until smooth and bubbly.
- Add chicken broth and half-and-half and cook slowly until thickened, stirring constantly. Add the chicken and mix well.
Assemble and Bake the Pot Pie
- Heat oven to 425 F. Pour the creamed chicken mixture into the pastry-lined casserole dish.
- Roll out the reserved 1/3 portion of pastry dough large enough to cover the chicken mixture. Fit over chicken mixture, pinch edges of bottom crust together with top crust, sealing well. Make a slit to act as a steam vent in the middle of the top crust.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until pastry is nicely browned. Remove from oven and let cool 10 minutes before serving. The filling will be very hot. Serve with a side salad and crispy bread if desired.
Pot Pie History
Pot pies date to the ancient Greeks and Romans when exotic birds and animals were baked in a crust and served at lavish banquets. Meat and poultry pies were a favorite of Elizabethans who fancied "four and twenty blackbirds baked in a pie." These ancient recipes evolved into what we know today as meat pies and pot pies.
More Chicken Pot Pie Recipes
- Quick Chicken Pot Pie Recipe: This quick version of pot pie features a top crust made with biscuit mix.