There are so many great cabbage recipes out there and they all seem to call for cabbage in different ways -- by the head which can be small, medium or large, by the pound, by the cup, raw, cooked, shredded, grated, julienned and more.
It can be a little confusing when trying to figure exactly how much you need for a recipe. Here are some basic rules of thumb that should help you navigate the intricacies of measuring cabbage.
Cabbage Measures, Substitutions, and Equivalents
- 1/4 pound cooked cabbage = 1 serving
- 1 medium head cabbage = 4 servings
- 1 medium head cabbage = about 2 pounds
- 1 pound fresh raw cabbage = 2 cups cooked
- 1 pound fresh raw cabbage = 4 servings cooked
- 1 medium raw cabbage = 4 cups raw shredded
- 1 pound raw shredded = 9 to 10 servings raw
- 2-pound head cabbage = about 10 cups shredded
More About Cabbage
- Cabbage Cooking Tips
- Cabbage Varieties
- Cabbage Selection and Storage
- All About Cabbage
- Cabbage and Health
- How to Make Polish Stuffed Cabbage Rolls - Gołąbki: This traditional recipe is simmered on the stovetop in beef broth but it also can be made in the oven.
- 10 Easy Cabbage Recipes: Included are recipes for cabbage wedges with cheddar cheese sauce and bacon, cabbage with leeks, cheddar cabbage gratin and more.
- Chinese Cabbage Recipes: You will find bok choy and napa cabbage in this collection with Asian flair. There are stir-fry, soup, dumpling filling, lo mein and vegetarian cabbage rolls recipes.